Newcomers to Canada

As a newcomer to Canada, we know you have lots of questions. The library can help with some of the most common information requests that many newcomers have. We have materials, programs and people to help with:

  • Finding shelter and housing
  • Legal rights
  • Employment
  • English language programs
  • Education (schools, colleges and universities)
  • Social networking opportunities
  • Seniors programs
  • Government funds
  • Healthcare and health insurance
  • Citizenship and immigration / sponsorship

People Who Can Help

Community Librarians

Every branch at EPL has a Community Librarian who can help point you in the right direction.

Settlement Practitioners

EPL is pleased to offer Settlement Services to help newcomers. These specialists are able to help with common questions about moving to Canada and settling into a new home. This program is funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada and is provided in partnership with the Edmonton Immigrant Services Association (EISA). Services are free for eligible clients.

To access these services visit any of these nine locations

  • Enterprise Square (downtown): 780-999-6727
  • Londonderry: 780-289-6002
  • Mill Woods: 780-717-7704
  • Whitemud Crossing: 780-442-4638
  • Highlands: 780-940-0920
  • Lois Hole: 780-991-8223
  • Clareview: 780-457-0912
  • Abbottsfield: 780-496-7839
  • Calder: 780-496-7090

Contact our settlement practitioners

Recommended Links

Library Collections

We have plenty of materials, programs and resources to help get you settled.

Cultural Access Pass

This is the logo of the cultural access pass
Institute for Canadian Citizenship Cultural Access Pass


Are you a new Canadian Citizen? Apply today online for a FREE Cultural Access Pass that grants admission to more than 1,000 attractions across Canada. You can select any of our branches as a CAP pass pickup location too!