Great libraries shape great cities. Public libraries, including EPL, provide essential services in the communities they serve. Many families face barriers that impact their ability to fully use everything the library makes available, such as books and other resources.
Support families in building strong foundations of literacy and learning to deepen their relationship with reading and the Library. Donate Today
Ready. Set. READ! is our early literacy program that sends books to children all over Edmonton from the day they are born to the time they reach 5 years old.
Every month, each child in the program looks forward to finding a new, age-appropriate book, waiting for them in their mailbox. These books are theirs to keep, and together we build up their very own personal library.
Having books at home helps families foster a practice of daily reading, ensuring kids get a strong start in their journey of life-long learning.
Our goal: The more support this program receives the more children we can reach. A gift of $60 allows a child to sign up to the program for one full year!
Support EPL's Ready. Set. READ! program, your gift will help provide new books to children and inspire a lifetime of reading.
EPL's fundraising campaign encourages the Edmonton community to embrace early literacy in honor of the late Julie Rohr, a dedicated local literature enthusiast who sadly lost her life to cancer two years ago.
Watch the video above to learn more about Julie and her love for reading.
Donating to Ready. Set. READ! is a wonderful way to support early childhood literacy, and there are several compelling reasons why this program is so important:
- Early Literacy Development: Ready. Set. READ! provides free, age-appropriate books to children from birth to age five. This critical period is when a child's brain is rapidly developing, making it the most effective time to instill a love for reading and learning. Donors help nurture the early literacy skills that are the foundation for a child's future academic success.
- Access to Books: Not all families have the resources to build a home library of books for their children. Ready. Set. READ! bridges this gap by ensuring that every child, regardless of their socioeconomic background, has access to a diverse and enriching collection of books.
- Parental Engagement: The program encourages parents and caregivers to read to their children regularly. It promotes family bonding and helps parents understand the importance of early reading. Donors support these critical moments of interaction between parents and children, which are vital for cognitive and emotional development.
- Long-Term Impact: Early literacy interventions have lasting effects on a child's future. Children who are exposed to books and reading from an early age are more likely to perform well in school, graduate, and become engaged, informed citizens. Donations contribute to a brighter, more literate future for Edmonton children who benefit from the program.
- Inspiring a Lifelong Love of Reading: Reading is not just a skill but a source of lifelong enjoyment and enrichment. Ready. Set. READ! helps children discover the joy of reading early, fostering a lifelong love of books and learning. Donations can be the spark that ignites a child's imagination and curiosity.
Donating to Ready. Set. READ! is a meaningful way to make a positive and lasting impact on a child's life. By supporting early childhood literacy, we contribute to a brighter future filled with opportunities, knowledge, and the magic of storytelling.
The Edmonton Public Library is happy to accept donations of books and other library materials. Although we are unable to add donated material to our collection, the funds generated from the sale of these materials at our Book2Buy Sales are used to enhance EPL collections and services.Find out more about Books2Buy and the next sale dates.
What to Donate
We are happy to accept the following items:
- Gently used books (paperbacks and hardcovers)
- Comic books and graphic novels
- CDs, DVDs and Audiobooks in their original packaging
- Recent Playstation, Xbox and Wii games in their original packaging
- Textbooks and study guides published within the last four years
We do not accept the following items:
- Books in poor condition (i.e. yellowed, worn, dusty, damp, mouldy, torn or smelly)
- CDs, DVDs, Audiobooks or videogames without their original packaging
- Textbooks or study guides older than four years
- Specialized journals
- Cassettes, VHS or vinyl records
- Computer software
- Burned or sample CDs or DVDs
Please check over each item to ensure it meets our donation requirements. When in doubt, give only what you would consider good quality for your own use. Handling and disposing of unwanted materials costs EPL money.
Where to Donate
Most branches of the Edmonton Public Library can accept donations of books and library materials, with the exception of our eplGO locations: Heritage Valley, McConachie and West Henday Promenade.
If you have a large amount to donate, we recommend calling ahead to ensure that the branch you'd like to donate at has space for new material.
EPL is unable to do home pick ups of materials. Charitable tax receipts will not be issued for donated library materials.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions about donating materials to EPL.
Yes, tax receipts are issued for gifts over $20 once the donation has been processed.
Yes, you can donate in memory or honour of a loved one on our online form here. All donations in memory or in honour will be included in our annual report.