In a year like no other, EPL is continually working to provide educators with useful and timely resources and services that support literacy and student learning. Don't see what you need? Email your dedicated branch contact and we'll see what we can do.
Due to the pandemic, EPL is offering virtual school visits only. We will continue to monitor the situation and adjust as necessary. The safety of our staff and customers is our priority.
Educators can choose from one of three options:
- Welcome to the Library Virtual Tour (Grades K-12), prerecorded presentation – 10 to 35 min
- How to Be an Information Ninja (Grades 3-12), live presenter – 60 min
- Presentation at a Teachers’ Staff Meeting, live presenter – 30 min
School Library Card Program
Your students can get their EPL cards sent directly to your class. This project is in partnership with the Conseil Scolaire Centre-Nord, Edmonton Catholic Schools and Edmonton Public Schools. For further information about this project, please email SchoolCards@epl.ca.
French Material and Resources
EPL has a number of dedicated resources for French teachers and their students including more than 900 French eBooks in Cantook Station or 500 French eBooks in Overdrive, book lists, classes and events and the annual Bataille des bouquins reading program for children in Grades 4-6 (Grades 5-6 only for French Immersion classes).
EPL's Dedicated Newsletter for Teachers
The best to stay in touch with us is to subscribe to the quarterly Teachers' Toolbox. You'll get access to the latest booklists or online resources, hear about new EPL programs and services for schools and get ideas about how teachers and the Library can collaborate.
We know it can be tough to help students find the perfect book—that’s why we're sharing our reading recommendations for students from Kindergarten up to Grade 12.
Hi-Lo books offer age-appropriate, relevant subject matter for junior high and high school students at a lower reading level. Interesting and easy to read, but not "for kids", they can hook ELL students and reluctant or struggling readers on reading. Learn more about Hi-Low books., opens a new window
There are 3 ways to find Hi-Lo books on epl.ca:
- Type “High Interest-low Vocabulary Books” into the search box and change the search term to subject.
- Use this awesome curated list of specifically designated Hi-Lo titles for teens, including books, graphic novels, ebooks and audiobooks.
- Search for books in the Orca Hi-Lo series (for kids age 8+); type the series title into the search box and change the search term to series.
Orca Currents are short, high interest novels with contemporary themes written for middle school students reading below grade level.
Reading levels from Grades 2.0 to 5.0. Interest level age 10-14.