EPL shares tools, expertise and learning opportunities that support children from birth through their transition to school age. Each branch has a dedicated space where children can read, play and discover all year round.
New parent? We have a special page just for you. Plan your first visit to the Library, get tips to make reading fun and find out how EPL can help.
Language and literacy are essential for your child’s happy and healthy development. Find out how daily interactions help set up your child for a lifetime of learning.
Apr 23rd | 9:30am - 10:15amOnline Event
Apr 23rd | 2:00pm - 2:30pmOnline Event
Apr 25th | 2:00pm - 2:30pmOnline Event
Apr 26th | 10:00am - 10:30amOnline Event
Kids 0-5 - FAQs
EPL offers a wide variety of classes and events, online and in-person, for parents of babies and toddlers:
- Baby Laptime (0-12 months): Enjoy delightful stories, songs, books, rhymes, finger plays and more, especially for babies. Cuddle with your baby and connect with other caregivers. View all Baby Laptime classes >
- Sing, Sign, Laugh and Learn (0-3 years): Join us for singing, rhyming and signing! In this inclusive class, parents/caregivers will interact one-on-one with their child while learning strategies to engage their child and enhance their child’s communication and development through repetition, visuals and movement. Siblings are welcome. This class is offered in collaboration with the Edmonton Early Intervention Program. View all Sing, Sign, Laugh and Learn classes >
- Preschool Problem Solvers (3-5 years): Preschool Problem Solvers introduces shapes, numbers, colors and classroom behavior in a fun, energy-filled way. Children will dance, sing, investigate and have fun! Parents may choose to participate or let their child attend solo. No classes currently available
- Sounds Like Fun: Getting Ready to Read (4-5 years): Come for stories, songs, movement and a variety of fun activities. In this inclusive class, adults will actively participate and learn ideas to help their child get ready to read. This class is offered in collaboration with AHS Speech and Language Services. No classes currently available
- Music Makers: Sing Yourself Silly! (4-6 years): Music Makers combines engaging songs and stories with the use of rhythm instruments to develop important classroom skills such as attentive listening, turn-taking and responding to direction. Children and parents will participate in action songs, dance and learn about basic musical concepts such as beat, rhythm, pitch, tempo and dynamics. No classes currently available
- Family Storytime (Family): Listen to stories, sing songs and play games with the whole family. No classes currently available
- Heure du conte (En français): Chansons, comptines et histoires! Une heure du conte amusante pour toute la famille. (Songs, rhymes and stories in French!) No classes currently available
EPL has a variety of resources to help parents with early literacy, from our collections, classes and events, to staff advice and book recommendations. Visit our Early Literacy page to learn more.
Of course! While the content delivered will be for the class’ target age group, we welcome sibling participation.