Wondering about how to learn English? EPL has programs and collections to help you master the English language.
The Edmonton Public Library offers free programsopens a new window to help you learn and practice English.
- Practise English @ Your Libraropens a new windowy: Practise your English language skills, meet new friends and have some fun in a casual and comfortable setting.
- English Language Conversation Circles (LACE)opens a new window
- Story and activity programs for children: These include programs of interest to everyone.
- Youth Talkopens a new window: Teens can practice their communications skills and gain familiarity with Canadian society and culture in this conversation-based program designed for newcomer youth.
- ELL Library Tours: Ask for a tour of your local library to find out about the many things the library can offer you.
Our collections include:
- TOEFLopens a new window, IELTSopens a new window and TOEICopens a new window guidebooks
- Dual Languages Resourcesopens a new window
- Books, CDs and DVDs about English grammar, pronunciation, spelling and vocabulary
- Family Language Learning Kitsopens a new window (kits include bilingual stories and puppets - more details below)
- Bilingual picture dictionaries
- Read-along books and CD sets
- Easy reading books for adults and children
Family Language Kits
Family Language Kits are designed to help newcomer families break down language and cultural barriers by promoting reading, language development and library use.
How do Family Language Kits help?
- Family Language Kits help families read together and learn to use libraries
- The kits are fun for parents and children to use together
- They help parents who want to know how to learn English
- Reading together helps prepare children for school
What's inside a Family Language Kit?
Each Family Language Kit contains a variety of print and non-print materials selected to encourage children and caregivers to learn English together. By providing dual-language (home language plus English) materials, we enable families to learn English together.
- 1 Teach Me English CD/Book Set
- 1 dual language picture dictionary
- 4 dual language picture books
- 2 puppets
What languages are available?
Family Language Kits are available in many languages. Check our collectionopens a new window to see what we have and to place a hold on a kit.
ELL Test Resources
Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT)opens a new window
The CAAT helps determine an individual’s present educational level and readiness for literacy instruction, general academic upgrading, core skills development and vocational selection.
Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) Online Self Assessment Testopens a new window
This is a self-assessment for people who are learning to speak English as a Second Language (ESL). The test is based on the Canadian Language Benchmarks.
CanTESTopens a new window
The CanTEST is a standardized English proficiency test used to determine if you are able to meet admission requirements of Canadian post-secondary institutions or fluency requirements of professional licensing associations.
International English Language Training System (IELTS)opens a new window
This site contains free IELTS practice tests. The IELTS is the standardized test that Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) recognizes as proof of English language ability for immigration purposes.
Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC)opens a new window
This site contains TOEIC sample questions which will help you understand the different sections of the TOEIC test and what kind of questions to expect.
ELL Instruction Providers in Edmonton
- Cultural Connections Institute- The Learning Exchangeopens a new window
- Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers' English Language Servicesopens a new window
- NorQuest College's ESL Training and Literacy Programsopens a new window
- NAIT English as a Second Languageopens a new window
- University of Alberta's English Language Programopens a new window
- MacEwan University's English Language Instituteopens a new window
- Solomon Collegeopens a new window