Our new Capilano Branch (9915 67 St. N.W.) is now open!
A new library complete with serene views and natural light is now a place Capilano residents can call their own! The new Edmonton Public Library Capilano Branch is a ground floor location at 9915 67 Street NW, which will help overcome accessibility challenges of the previous site on the second floor of Capilano Mall. The new branch will serve approximately 198,000 visitors annually.
Edmonton’s Fulton Ravine borders the new library. The 60-meter wide forested area divides the property into an east side facing 67 Street and a west side facing Terrace Road NW. Beyond the beautiful setting, visitors to the branch have access to the ravine zone – a seated study space featuring the ravine as a backdrop. Community rooms with private and semi-private meeting and study spaces also offer this view.
Other new features include:
- 24-hour material returns
- Ground-floor access
- Makerspace (with a sewing machine, vinyl cutter, 3D printer and MORE!)
- Quiet study room
- Larger community program room
As with all EPL building projects, we are targeting a minimum LEED Silver rating for this new location. The use of sustainable building materials, proximity to public transportation and parking capacity are key factors that will contribute to the building’s LEED rating.
New Branch Hours
As of Thursday, Nov. 8 our branch hours are:
- Monday - Thursday: 10 a.m. - 9 p.m.
- Friday - Saturday: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Sunday: 1 p.m. - 5 p.m.
Grand Opening Celebration
Thanks to everyone who attended our Grand Opening Celebration on Friday, Nov. 23 at 10:30 a.m. We had so much fun and were honoured to have MLA Marlin Schmidt in attendance to provide a warm welcoming message. We hope you enjoyed the delicious treats and truly magical entertainment from Sheldon Casavant.
The new Capilano Branch ceiling is so beautiful, we can't stop staring at it! It's especially stunning when the sunlight hits it. We can't wait for you to see it in all it's glory when we open this fall.
Our new Capilano Branch is really starting to take shape! The exterior of our building is almost complete and the interior is really starting to come together! We can't wait to share all of the exciting things we have in store!
While our interior progress is looking great, so is our exterior! Here's an updated look at the amazing exterior of the building. We're so excited to open our brand new branch in the fall of 2018! Keep your eyes peeled for an official date.
The interior of our Capilano Branch is really coming along! Take a look at the stunning interior wood work.
Some amazing construction progress captured at our new Capilano Branch. Construction is moving quickly and we're anticipating to open in the fall of 2018.
Construction is well underway at the new Capilano Branch which is anticipated to open in late 2018.
May 4, 2017
EPL CEO Pilar Martinez and Councillor Ben Henderson broke ground on the new Capilano Branch on May 4, 2017 alongside dozens of children from the surrounding communities. Construction is now underway with an anticipated branch opening in late 2018.
March 20, 2016
- To help with traffic flow, a one-way street northbound on 67 Street between 99 and 101 Avenue will be converted to a two-way operation. This will take place prior to the start of construction, which is scheduled for early 2017.
- To allow for safe and easy access to the site, a pedestrian-activated signal will be installed on the east side of the intersection of 101 Avenue and 67 Street.
- EPL will be dedicating 1% of the capital budget to public art which will involve extensive community engagement.
- EPL and the City of Edmonton have hosted two public information session about the new Capilano Branch. The latest one took place on Monday, June 1, 2015 where we wanted to gather feedback from the community, as well as share information about the project. A report was produced to document what we covered at the meeting, including questions from residents and answers from organizers. Additional information is available through the Community Librarian.