Our new Calder Branch located at 12710 - 131 Avenue NW is now open!
Like a great neighbour, we have so much for you. Visit today for access to public computers, free wifi, great programs, movies, videogames, and so much more! If you had items on hold at Calder, they were moved to the new location as of January 31.
Stop by any time or join us for one of our special events:
- Monday, Feb 19 from 1 - 5 p.m.
- Saturday, March 17 from 1 - 5 p.m.
- Thursday, March 1 at 10:30 a.m.
Our very first Calder Branch opened in August 1966 at 13303 - 127 Street. We remained in that location until 1992, when we moved to our (now previous) location at 12522 - 132 Avenue. This move saw a 30% increase in use in the very first year! The Calder community was excited about our new branch, and we renovated in 2000 to expand and respond to the growing clientele.
Fast forward to 2016, and our amazing Calder community full of learners needed more space to play, create and explore. We decided to relocate our Calder Branch so it could grow from its current 5,300 sq. ft space to a new 10,000 sq. ft. stand-alone space.
Now, in 2018, we're so excited about our brand new targeted LEED® Silver certified facility.
Our brand new Calder Branch is located south of Wellington Junior High School, at the intersection of 127 Street and 131 Avenue. Close to the current location and easily accessible by foot, vehicles and public transportation, it’s also exposed along 127 Street. We’re thrilled about this move because it supports the rejuvenation of surrounding neighbourhoods and will grow out partnerships with schools and community organizations.
Some key features in our new Calder Branch:
- Larger community room, quiet study room and flexible program space
- Collections that meet community needs
- Comfy chairs, collaboration space and a central reading area complete with a fireplace. Yes, a fireplace.
- Freshwater aquarium in children’s area
- Ample public parking with easy access and 24-hour book return
- 17 public computers with free Wi-Fi and three early literacy stations
Here's some great photos taken during construction: