EPL goes to great lengths to meet the diverse needs of all Edmontonians. We provide specialized services, collections, and adaptive technologies to support people with disabilities, homebound individuals and older adults.
If you can’t make it to an EPL branch for over three months, we'll bring our collection to you.
EPL provides home service where you live, whether that's an extended care facility, a seniors' lodge or your own home. We'll match you with a carefully screened and trained volunteer who will deliver materials selected by staff directly to you. You may also arrange for a friend or family member to pick up materials at the Library for you.
We also provide regular service to many extended care facilities and seniors' lodges in the city.
To register for home service, contact your local branch.
Large Print Books
Hardcover and lighter, softcover books are available at all EPL branches. Our largest selection is found at our Whitemud Crossing Branch.
DAISY Books & Readers
DAISY books are digital audio books used by people with print disabilities. They’re played on a special player or MP3 enabled CD players (such as many computers). We also lend two types of DAISY players.
To borrow DAISY books or players, please speak to staff at any EPL branch and they will make the necessary adjustment to your library account.
Descriptive Videos/DVDs (DVS) are movies which describe the visual elements for people who are blind or have low vision. Many DVDs have this available as a special feature.
epl2you - Catalogue Carousel
Recommended Book Lists
Book Lists - epl2you
The Centre for Equitable Library Access (CELA) and the National Network for Equitable Library Service (NNELS) provide material for people with print disabilities. A print disability, sometimes referred to as a perceptual disability, is a learning, physical, or visual disability that prevents a person from reading conventional print.
The Centre for Equitable Library Access (CELA)
CELA provides books, newspapers and magazines in accessible formats. Access to the collection is offered in a number ways, including direct downloads and delivery by mail to your home.
You can sign-up for CELA with your library card.
You can also contact CELA directly at 1-855-655-2273 or by email at email@example.com.
The National Network for Equitable Library Service (NNELS)
NNELS is an online public library of approximately 10,000 titles in accessible formats. NNELS also works with book publishers and authors to create accessible books on demand. The most common file formats available from NNELS are DAISY, PDF and e-text. Customers can access the online catalogue and download material directly once they've registered for the service.
To learn more about NNELS, visit www.nnels.ca.
You can register for this service by calling or visiting any EPL branch.
The following EPL services and programs may be of interest to persons with disabilities.
- Inductive Loop Amplifiers: These are available at all of our customer service desks. They generate a loop signal that can be received by a hearing aid with an integrated telephone coil or induction loop receiver. Our hearing loops will cut out unwanted background noise for anyone wearing a compatible hearing aid who comes to our service desk to talk with our staff.
- Extended Loans: If you need more time with your library materials, you may qualify for an extended loan account. These may be arranged at all EPL branches, although there may be limitations on extended loans for high-demand materials. Talk to a library staff member to see if you qualify.
- 6 weeks: Print materials, CDs and DAISY books
- 4 weeks: DVDs and video games
- Audiovisual Materials: A wide variety of CDs, DVDs and games are available at all EPL branches.