The Al and Fran Olson Children’s Makerspace inspires and celebrates children as designers and makers, providing everything kids need to play, tinker, explore, learn, create and share. Through a mixture of tech and non-tech materials, children can try out design challenges, take a deep dive into the intricacies of programming, create 3D printed objects and make music.
Interested in visiting the Children's Makerspace? We're open for booking! Here's what you need to know:
- Call us at (780) 496-7039 to reserve your time slot.
- Families or groups can book one timeslot of up to two hours on weekdays, and one timeslot of up to one hour on weekends with maximum of one timeslot booking every two weeks.
- Multiple families or groups are allowed per booking. We recommend an adult to child ratio of at least 1 to 5.
- All visitors to the Children's Library aged 12 and under can design a small object on one of our computers and print it on the 3D printer for free (max size: 6 cm x 6 cm x 6 cm). No advanced is booking required for this self led activity.
Learn how to use Tinkercad using any of our computers. After you design an object, staff will be able to print it out on our Prusa i3 MK3 3D printer for you. Please note that due to availability and duration of printing time, you may need to pick up your 3D print at a later date.
Once you've mastered the basics, head to the main Makerspace of the Milner Library to print your own 3D creation (must be 12 years old and over and attend a 3D Printing 101 class).
Building and Design
All the Lego, K’nex, and Tinker Toys to build your latest invention, along with supplementary materials to make it shine. Try out our latest design challenges, and find big community builds during special events.
Creative Computers and iPads
Complete your creative project with our specialized equipment and software:
- an iMac with creative software for music, sound and video editing, game design, programming, modeling and illustration
- 5 creative iPads preloaded with apps that promote creative uses as well as STEAM learning and exploration (coming soon).
A green screen and iPad ready for you to have fun with your friends and visit new locations.
Children's Beat Lab
Make music at our DIY DJ booth, then move to the creative iMac and record your compositions.
Robotics & Electronics
Coding and robots and circuits, oh my! All sorts of robots and electronics are available for use.
Children's Makerspace - BiblioEvents Feed
Children's Makerspace - FAQs
The Children’s Makerspace has materials and activities that will appeal primarily to children ages six to 12, though younger and older kids (and kids at heart) are also welcome!
It depends! If you use only the consumable material such as cardboard, brass fasteners and other things clearly marked, then you can take your creation home.
If you’re using our robots, Lego or other reusable materials, then you can either put it on display or take a picture and, if you want, let us feature it on our digital display.
Find more information about tour options and how to book a tour on our library tours page. Fill out the form, and a librarian will be in touch to schedule your tour.
There's also plenty for your group to do if you just stop by, though, so feel welcome to come at any time.