Want a blast from the past?
EPL’s Tracing your Family Tree brochure can help you search for your family’s vital records, census records, and passenger and immigration records.
You can also try the Getting Started with Genealogy resource of “how to” books.
We also have an invaluable guidebook for our genealogy collection. There are both circulating and reference copies for you to view or take home:
Genealogy Reference Sources at the Edmonton Public Library
A Guide to the Stanley A. Milner Library Collection
By Joseph Rek (2001)
EPL's Heritage Collection
Located at our Enterprise Square Branch (Downtown), EPL's print Heritage Collection is a collection of almost 10,000 titles focused on the history and development of Edmonton and northern Alberta.
Most of the materials in the Heritage Collection are available to borrow and can be requested at your local branch. The Early Edmonton city directories and some items that may be too fragile are not circulated and must be viewed at Enterprise Square.
You’ll find a wide range of genealogical materials for researching family roots and local histories.
Our collection includes:
- Family histories and the histories of northern Albertan ethnic groups
- Business histories and histories of local organizations
- Histories of northern Albertan schools, churches, and communities
- Early Edmonton city directories
- Guidebooks, vital and census records, passenger lists, and historical gazetteers
- Works relating to immigration, settlement, pioneer life, politics, and government
- Programs of performances and festivals
Obituaries can provide good information for genealogical research. Most newspapers, such as a the Edmonton Journal, provide online tools for searching their archives. EPL does has obituaries on microfilm available at the Whitemud Crossing Library (from 1903 to present).
EPL also has application to locate the date an obituary that was published in the Edmonton Journal and several other local newspapers, between 1950 - 1982.
EPL's Genealogical Maps Collection (located at Whitemud Crossing Branch).