Reading Rockstars Volunteer
Do you like to rock and love to interact with kids?
Share your love of reading and technology knowledge with elementary school-aged children by assisting EPL staff with Reading Rockstars, an after-school program delivered in select schools.
Reading Rockstars gives kids the opportunity to learn about the Edmonton Public Library, explore books and other library materials, and participate in fun literacy-building games and activities.
Are you new to volunteering with EPL? If you're interested in this role, click "Apply Now" to create your profile and submit your application.
Are you a current volunteer with EPL? If you're interested in this role, click "Current Volunteers" to contact the Volunteer Program Coordinator.
- Oliver School (10227 118 Street).
- St. Maria Goretti (4214 127 Avenue)
- McKee School (10725 51 Ave NW)
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with EPL. Current Reading Rockstar Opportunities:
- McKee School (10725 51 Ave NW) : April 4 – May 9, Tuesdays 3:00-5:00 p.m.
- Attend mandatory orientation / training session (the first session date listed)
- Help set up and tidy program room
- Prepare program materials like student folders and cutting paper
- Provide support at transition points, like passing out student folders and distributing materials and technology
- Clarify instructions and help participants follow instructions when required
Volunteer Skills & Qualifications
- Clear Police Information Check
- Experience interacting and assisting children and/or a desire to interact with and assist children
- Strong English language skills
- Knowledge of modern technology, including computers and iPads
- Must be available for all sessions
- Ability to attend all sessions is required
- Must be able to make mandatory training session and all program sessions (2 hours a week for 7 weeks)
Orientation / Training
- Must attend a mandatory orientation/training session (first session date)
- Ongoing support and supervision at each Reading Rockstars session
- Increased awareness in program delivery
- Learn new skills by interacting with school-aged children
- Help children build literacy skills for life