We want to build a diverse, robust and balanced collection to serve all of Edmonton. If you’re interested in a title that’s not in the Edmonton Public Library catalogue, you can suggest a purchase and we’ll consider your request.
How to Suggest a Title for EPL’s Collection
You can request up to five items per month through our online catalogue. Suggestions are evaluated according to our Collection Development Policy.
- Before making your suggestion, check our catalogue to make sure we don't already carry the item.
- Make sure that the item you’d like to suggest was originally published or produced in the last 10 years.
- Log into your library account (a valid library card and PIN are required).
- Go to My Library Dashboard and click Submit a Suggestion to make a new suggestion (a valid library card and PIN are required).
- Track the progress of your suggestion within your account in the Suggested Purchases page (note: you must be logged in to view this page).
- If your suggestion doesn’t result in a purchase, you can also check to see if the item you’d like to borrow is available through Interlibrary Loans.
How to Suggest a Title on OverDrive
You can also make up to three eBook and digital audiobook suggestions through our digital book resource OverDrive every 30 days.
- Search for the item you’re interested in borrowing by clicking on the magnifying glass in the top right corner of the browser.
- The top of the search results page will display titles that EPL owns that match (or are similar to) your search. The bottom of the page shows unowned titles that are also available through OverDrive.
- Find the desired title, click to open its details page and then select RECOMMEND to suggest the title for purchase.
- If EPL decides to purchase your suggested item on OverDrive, you’ll automatically be added to the holds list for that title.
Please note: Only EPL customers can make suggestions for the purchase of new library materials.