Jobs, Careers, Training and Education
Looking for work, planning your professional future or making your next move in your career can be a daunting task. EPL has a wealth of information in-branch and online to assist you in taking the next step in your job search or towards your career aspiration.
All EPL locations can support you in your job search with books, digital content like eBooks and databases, public computers with high speed Internet (accessible with your FREE EPL library card), faxing, printing (fees apply), scanning and photocopying services.
On this page, you will find links to:
- Resources to help you choose your career path
- Trust-worthy job posting sites
- Resumé and cover letter help
- Recommended content such as online databases, books, eBooks and more
Choose a Career
Looking for help in choosing a career? Below are some resources to make this important decision a little easier.
- Take quizzes to help you find a career match, explore the careers that are suitable for you and find out what training is required
- Find school and program information including potential earnings, career paths and job postings
- Review easy-to-read occupational profiles, career paths and interviews with real workers in many industries—featuring great Alberta content
The provincial gateway to help Albertans plan and achieve educational and career success. It provides information for career planning, post-secondary education and training, occupational profiles, financial aid, job search, labour market trends and workplace issues. Also contains OccInfo, Alberta Occupational Profiles.
Services and information to help immigrants before and after they arrive in Alberta, including assessment of credentials received outside of Canada, language training grants and more.
Provides Canada-wide information on available jobs.
Focuses on training people for employment, with possible financial support and Indigenous resources.
Information for trades and apprenticeships.
Improve Your Skills
Find information about career, education and training opportunities with the following FREE databases:
- LearningExpress Library Canada: practice tests and tutorial courses to help you succeed with academic or licensing exams—includes computer skills training for a variety of Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, etc.)
- Gale Courses: take six-week, instructor-lead courses to build your skills
- Brainfuse: support for university courses, adult learners and resumé writing—students can chat live with online tutors and create study aids customized to their learning needs
- Lynda.com: online learning library that helps anyone learn business, software, technology and creative skills with over 3,100 engaging video courses taught by recognized industry experts
Get Help with Your Resumé and Cover Letter
Prepare for and conduct a successful job search by improving your resumé and cover letter.
- Resumé Templates: includes simple formatted resumé templates in Microsoft Word
- Cypress Resumé Builder: an online tool that guides you in building a better resumé
- Resumé Tips: find out how to craft a high impact resumé
Search for Jobs Online
Below are some key, reputable job search sites:
Other Resources for Job Seekers
Employee Rights Resources
Resources for Job Seekers with Disabilities
- Goodwill Power of Work Program: supports people with disabilities in locating employment or volunteer opportunities
- EmployAbilities: provides specialized services to individuals with disabilities or barriers to employment by creating opportunities for skill development, education and employment
- On Site Placement (OSP): assists individuals with disabilities looking for temporary or permanent work, from entry to senior levels
- EPL Recommended Resources: career-related resources in our collection that are available to borrow or access with your library card
- BGS Enterprises: offers free programs, workshops and resources—including resumé writing, interview prep and career planning
- Youth Connections: government services and programs—including jobs and internships, education and training and study, work and travel opportunities—for youth ages 16 to 24
- Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers Employment Services: offers various programs and services to help unemployed or underemployed immigrants and refugees obtain employment
- Building Trades of Alberta: provides job lists, trade union information, training and opportunities, Alberta job forecasts, journeyman and apprentice opportunities and job initiatives for the building trades
- Women Building Futures: this organization empowers women to pursue careers in trades occupations by offering information and providing training, job placement and job retention
- Alberta ALIS: this website lists industry associations, professional associations and unions in the province
- Water Wings: a free employment readiness program designed for job seekers who are facing multiple barriers to employment—helps participants gain essential job readiness skills and access to industry standard safety training, as well as providing one-on-one attention tailored to meet individual needs
- Bredin Centre for Learning: offers employment services and training programs for new immigrants as well as unemployed and underemployed Albertans
Can't find what you're looking for? Contact EPL!