The Edmonton Public Library is happy to accept donations of books and other library materials. Although we are unable to add donated material to our collection, the funds generated from the sale of these materials at our Book Sales are used to enhance EPL collections and services.
What to Donate?
We would be happy to accept:
- Gently used books (paperbacks and hardcovers)
- CDs, DVDs, audiobooks in their original packaging
- Recent Playstation, Xbox and Wii games in their original packaging
- Textbooks and study guides published within the last 4 years
- Comic books
We do not accept the following items:
- Material in poor condition (yellowed, worn, dusty, damp, mouldy, torn, smelly)
- DVDs, CDs or videogames without their original packaging
- Textbooks and study guides older than 4 years
- Specialized journals
- Cassettes, VHS, vinyl records
- Computer software
- Burned or sample CDs or DVDs
Please check over each item to ensure it meets our donation requirements. When in doubt, give only what you would consider as good quality for your own use. Handling and disposing of unwanted materials costs EPL money.
Where to Donate?
- Each branch of the Edmonton Public Library can accept small donations of books and library materials, but be sure to call ahead and ensure that they have space for new material.
- In all cases, if you have enough materials to fill a box, you must first pick up our designated packing boxes from any of our branches before making the donation. Please ensure that the boxes are closed flat and taped once they are filled.
- We do have space limitations, so please contact us at email@example.com in advance if you have a large amount of material to donate.
- EPL is unable to do home pick ups of materials.
Please note: all donations become the exclusive property of the Edmonton Public Library and can not be returned. As such, EPL reserves the right to determine how to handle all donated library materials, including their disposal if we are unable to use them. The decision of whether or not to accept a donation is made by the staff at the receiving location. Any special circumstances should be referred to the Associate Director, Fund Development. Generally, charitable tax receipts will not be issued for donated library materials.
You can donate cars, RVs, boats, and more too! EPL has partnered with Donate A Car Canada to accept Vehicle Donations for the Edmonton Public Library. Donate A Car Canada will look after all of the details to make it easy for you, and for EPL!