Ideas and Activities:
- Interview a friend or a family member.
- Describe what your neighbourhood/community/Canada will look like in 150 years.
- Tell a story of a "first".
- Record stories and memories about a specific geographical location, include pictures!
- Create a visual poem.
- Tell the story of an object that holds personal significance.
- Create sound map: record and talk about sounds that are unique to your community.
- "I remember a time when..."
- “I’m smiling today because…”
- “I feel the strongest sense of home when…”
- “My first memory is…..”
- “A time where I felt I made a difference was…..”
Interview resources and sample questions:
Check out these sites for tips and tricks on how to conduct an oral history interview and view sample questions.
Geneology.com - Get Nosy With Aunt Rosie: Example Questions for Oral Histories : http://www.genealogy.com/articles/research/70_tipsoral.htmlopens a new window
Smithsonian Center for Folklife & Cultural Heritage:
http://www.folklife.si.edu/the-smithsonian-folklife-and-oral-history-interviewing-guide/some-possible-questions/smithsonianopens a new window
List of other EPL and non-EPL resources:
Lynda.com Course: Creative Inspirations (https://epl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/1895370005opens a new window)
iPhone Photography, From Shooting to Storytelling (https://epl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/1896304005opens a new window) – course on Lynda.com
Long Story Short: The Only Storytelling Guide You’ll Ever Need (instantly available on Hoopla) (https://epl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/1787805005)
Athabasca University – Digital Storytelling (http://elab.athabascau.ca/workshop/digital-storytellingopens a new window)
Storycenter (https://www.storycenter.org/opens a new window)
Storycenter supports organizations and individuals in telling and recording their stories. They host free webinars in digital storytelling.
This initiative is made possible by the Community Fund for Canada’s 150th, a collaboration between the Edmonton Community Foundation, the Government of Canada, and extraordinary leaders from coast to coast to coast.