Volunteer at the Place you Love
Volunteering at the Edmonton Public Library is a way for you to provide life-enriching experiences for people in your community and support the library. It is a fun environment that is dynamic and engaging. Help is needed with all kinds of tasks, some simple and some more technical, some helping the public and some behind the scenes. Expectations around length of volunteer commitment range from one time only events, to ongoing opportunities.
Volunteer applications are only accepted for current volunteer opportunities.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Reading Buddies is an opportunity for junior high and high school students to volunteer their time and enthusiasm to mentor kids in grades 2 to 4.
- Reading Buddies volunteer opportunities are for teens aged 13-17 ONLY.
- Reference form and Parental Consent form must be completed.
- Note the following programs are FULL:
- Mill Woods
- Lois Hole
Current branches accepting volunteer Reading Buddies applications:
- Calder: February 14 to March 14(every Saturday from 2pm - 3pm). Mandatory orientation for all new volunteers is Saturday February 7 from 2pm - 3pm.
- Castle Downs: February 17 to April 21 (every Tuesday from 4:30pm - 5:30pm). Mandatory orientation for all new volunteers is Tuesday February 10 from 4:30pm - 5:30pm.
- Jasper Place: February 23, 2015 to March 30, 2015 (every Monday from 4pm - 5pm). Mandatory orientation for all new volunteers is Monday February 9, 2015 from 4pm - 5pm.
- Whitemud Crossing: Mandatory orientation Thursday, February 19, 4:30-5:30 pm
Tuesday program runs February 24 - March 24.
Thursday program runs February 26 - March 26.
- Woodcroft: February 18 to March 25 (every Wednesday from 4pm - 5pm). Mandatory orientaiton for all new volutneer is Wednesday February 11 form 4pm - 5pm.
All prospective volunteers are interviewed before being placed in available opportunities. Volunteers are placed based on best fit. Not all who apply can be accepted.
If you are a current EPL volunteer, you do not need to reapply. Please contact the Volunteer or Program Coordinator indicating your interest to apply for new volunteer opportunities.
Reading Buddies: For youth between the ages of 13 and 17 years only. As a Reading Buddies volunteer, you will be paired with a little buddy to read and play interactive games.
Reading Rockstars: Show young kids how you can rock it with literacy and technology! As a Reading Rockstars volunteer, you will support EPL staff to facilitate the Reading Rockstars Program at select elementary schools across the city.
Welcome Baby in the Community - Driver: You will deliver Welcome Baby packages from a library branch to a Public Health Centre, supporting early literacy for infants and their families. You must have a vehicle for this role.
|Home Service Volunteer: EPL responds to the needs of people with reduced mobility through its Home Service program. Volunteers are needed to bring library materials to those that are unable to visit the library.|
Donation Support Volunteer: Sort through donated material at branches. All material goes to EPL's quarterly book sales.
Book Sale Volunteer: Use your organizational skills to help stock materials at our popular Books2Buy book sales and raise money in support of EPL.
Event Assistant Volunteer: Join in the forces of fun and engagement. Use your versatile people skills to make EPL events vibrant and successful. Locations and events vary.
Mascot: Provide a recognizable EPL's image to the community at events in an accessible and positive way.
Mascot Handler: Be the voice for the mascot as the mascot provides a recognizable image of EPL to the community at events in an accessible and positive way.
Friends of the Library: Help with fundraising events, annual booksales or be part of our board. Join the Friends of the Edmonton Public Library today.