Volunteer at the Place you Love
Volunteering at the Edmonton Public Library is a way for you to provide life-enriching experiences for people in your community and support the library. It is a fun environment that is dynamic and engaging.
For further details about EPL volunteer roles, view volunteer position descriptions.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Help elementary school-aged children explore the fun of reading through games, crafts and technology.
- Clear Police Information Check
- Experience interacting and assisting children and/or a desire to interact with and assist children
- Strong English language skills
- Good knowledge of current technology including computers and ipads
- Must be available for all sessions, including the training session
Current 2015 schools requiring a volunteer are:
- St. Alphonsus (11624 - 81St) Wednesdays, October 21 to December 2, 2015 from 2:30pm - 4:30pm.
- Our Lady Of Victories (7925-158St) Tuesdays, October 13 to November 17, 2015 from 3pm - 4:30pm.
Please indicate in your application which school(s) you would like to volunteer for. Please only apply if you are interested in the Reading Rockstars role. Due to the high volume of volunteer applications, only successful applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Apply Here (for Reading Rockstars only)
Reading Buddies is an opportunity for junior high and high school students ages 13 to 17 years to volunteer their time and enthusiasm to mentor kids in grades 2 to 4. You must be able to attend all sessions, including mandatory training.
- Woodcroft: Wednesdays from October 7 to November 4, 4pm-5pm. Mandatory Training Session: September 30, 4:30pm-5:30pm
- Castle Downs: Tuesdays from October 13 to November 17, 4:30pm-5:30pm. Mandatory Training Session: October 6, 4:30pm-5:30pm
- Whitemud Crossing: Mandatory Training Session Thursday September 17 from 4:30pm-5:30pm
- Tuesday Session: September 22 to October 20, 4:30pm - 5:30pm
- Thursday Session: September 24 to October 22, 4:30pm - 5:30pm
Apply Here (for Reading Buddies only)
|TechXperts: Share your specialized knowledge in creative software, digital media, and other technologies by designing and hosting workshops, events, or instruction sessions in the EPL Makerspace.|
Reading Buddies: For youth between the ages of 13 and 17 years only. As a Reading Buddies volunteer, you will be paired with a little buddy to read and play interactive games.
Reading Rockstars: Show young kids how you can rock it with literacy and technology! As a Reading Rockstars volunteer, you will support EPL staff to facilitate the Reading Rockstars Program at select elementary schools across the city.
Welcome Baby in the Community - Kit Preparer: Help support early literacy put together Welcome Baby kit packages for infants and their families . All shifts take place at the Stanley A. Milner branch.
Welcome Baby in the Community - Driver: You will deliver Welcome Baby packages from a library branch to a Public Health Centre, supporting early literacy for infants and their families. You must have a vehicle for this role.
|Home Service Volunteer: EPL responds to the needs of people with reduced mobility through its Home Service program. Volunteers are needed to bring library materials to those that are unable to visit the library.|
Donation Support Volunteer: Sort through donated material at branches. All material goes to EPL's quarterly book sales.
Book Sale Volunteer: Use your organizational skills to help stock materials at our popular Books2Buy book sales and raise money in support of EPL.
Event Assistant Volunteer: Join in the forces of fun and engagement. Use your versatile people skills to make EPL events vibrant and successful. Locations and events vary.
Mascot: Provide a recognizable EPL's image to the community at events in an accessible and positive way.
Mascot Handler: Be the voice for the mascot as the mascot provides a recognizable image of EPL to the community at events in an accessible and positive way.
Friends of the Library: Help with fundraising events, annual booksales or be part of our board. Join the Friends of the Edmonton Public Library today.
As an active EPL volunteer, please log into your volunteer profile to sign up for current volunteer opportunitites.