- There are no opportunities at this time.
Minimum one session/program, plus preparation time, including program development.
Edmonton is a city of makers, doers, thinkers and learners. At the Edmonton Public Library, we’re committed to lifelong learning and want to invite you to share your skills, talents and passions with your community and our Community Expert Volunteer role.
As a Community Expert, you’ll design and host your own free, specialized skill-building workshop at the library to help other community members build their skills and increase their knowledge in your area of expertise.
Whether you’re a tech expert who wants to share your love of all things digital with fellow library lovers, or you’re a master chef who wants to bake their way into the hearts of EPL – we’re looking to hear from you!
- To provide a safe, friendly environment for Edmontonians to build skills
- Provide a forum for Edmontonians to share their passions, in-depth knowledge and skills in a variety of topics
- Encourage life-long learning and growth in our communities
- Programs should be geared towards adults or older teens, 16yrs +.
- Design and plan a community session/program, or series of sessions by consulting with an EPL staff member.
- Deliver/host the approved session at the established date/time(s).
DIGITAL TOPICS OF EXPERTISE:
- Music recording, editing, and digital audio workstation software (Ableton Live, Logic ProX, or Reason Essentials)
- 3D modelling and animation (Blender, Unity, Unreal, Adobe After Effects, Anime Studio Pro)
- Video production and editing (Adobe Premier, Final Cut Pro)
- Multimedia/digital arts
DIY TOPICS OF EXPERTISE:
- Food connoisseur (baking, fermentation, cheese making, pickling, kombucha making, beer making, jellies/jams, butchering )
- Urban homesteading (bee-keeping, gardening, vegetable/herb growing, backyard chickens, composting, eco-living, etc.)
- Urban living (how to change a car tire, bicycle maintenance, etc.)
- Textiles, fibre arts, and fashion (knitting, sewing, embroidery, weaving, repair and alterations, rug punching, etc.)
- Fine arts (painting, drawing, sculpture, creative writing, theatre, etc.)
Please note: EPL has partnered with financial literacy and mental health organizations to deliver programming and do not have a need for a community expert in these areas.
- Demonstrated specialized and advanced knowledge and experience in the subject area.
- Related education and/or professional qualifications is preferred.
- Experience with instruction is an asset.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for sharing their knowledge and skills.
- Collaborative and creative problem solver.
- Strong communication skills.
- Must be 16 years of age or older.
BENEFITS TO THE VOLUNTEER
- Build networks by participating in and helping to expand the interests of Edmontonians.
- Share skills with other members of their communities in a unique venue, providing new avenues and opportunities for learning and development and new outlets for creative expression.
- Gain references from a reputable organization.
- Meet individuals with similar or shared interests, including customers, staff, and other volunteers.
- All EPL Volunteers complete an orientation to EPL.