At Edmonton Public Library, we share stories. Edmonton Public Library’s Canada 150 Digital Storytelling Project will inspire Edmonton’s diverse communities to reflect on and preserve stories of the people, places and events that have shaped our country for the past 150 years.
With generous support from Community Foundations of Canada, EPL has received funding to build digital storytelling kits that members of our community can use to create digital stories. The kits include multimedia recording equipment and resources to support programs in the library and in the community:
Digital Storytelling Kits:
- Borrow with your library card!
- Equipment includes an audio recorder and a copy of The Oral History Workshop
Digital Storytelling Programming Kits
- Used in programs and events
- Equipment includes iPod Touches, microphones, DSLR camera, video camera and more
This project is designed to give community members the opportunity to connect with one another and to share their stories in their own words. Kits will be available at no cost for use in the library and in community settings. Stories collected will form the foundation of a collection of Edmonton’s stories saved and shared into future.
What is Digital Storytelling?
Digital storytelling is a short (2-5 mins) personal story created by combining a recorded narrative with images, music, or other sounds. One popular example of these are oral histories, but they can use any form of media.
- Lets the creator share what's important or meaningful to them, no matter how big or small
- Share a perspective or a personal experience of a historical event which might add a different dimension to the traditional narrative
- Opportunity to learn more about one another, building stronger relationships and understanding within and across our communities
Programs and Events
Stay tuned for programs and events in 2017!
Digital Storytelling Kits
Borrow a digital storytelling kit for up to three weeks with your EPL card. All the kits include:
- 1 x ZOOM H1 Handy Recorder (for audio recordings)
- 1 x 32GB Sandisk Ultra Memory Card
- 2 x AA Energizer rechargeable batteries and charger
- 1 x book: The Oral History Workshop: Collect and Celebrate the Life Stories of Your Family and Friends, Hart & Samson (2009)
For helpful tips on using the kits please check out:
- ZOOM H1 Handy Recorder: QuickStartGuide
- ZOOM H1 Handy Recorder: How to import files to your computer
Share Your Story
Interested in sharing a story you created using the Digital Storytelling Kits? Will you share your story with your community? Have an idea for an event, or know a group who would be interested in creating and sharing their stories using Digital Storytelling Kits?
Have you borrowed a kit? You can complete this short survey to share your feedback.
Please contact email@example.com or Carla Iacchelli, Digital Literacy Librarian, at 780.495.9877
This initiative is made possible by the Community Fund for Canada’s 150th, a collaboration between the Edmonton Community Foundation, the Government of Canada, and extraordinary leaders from coast to coast to coast.