What to read... what to read...
Several EPL branches host and run book clubs for a wide variety of reading tastes. They range from a book club about Vampire Romance, to a book club on non-fiction for pleasure, to a book club for lovers of Greek classics.
Improved Book Club Experience
- Schedule of titles will be released months in advance
- Register for any book club you want to join online or by calling the branch
- New titles will be added regularly
- After registering you will pick up the book club title from the holds shelf at your local branch
Book Club Kits
Take a look at the 100+ Book Club Kits in our catalogue to find the right one for you and your book club.
Book Club Kits Frequently Asked Questions:
- Each book club kit contains 10 books of the same title.
- Book club kits are only available by placing a hold on the specific title contained in each book kit.
- Requested book club kits will be sent to your branch (similar to a regular hold) where they can be picked up at the customer service desk.
- The book club kit loan period is six weeks.
- Book club kits are renewable if there are no outstanding holds.
- The member who signed out the book club kit is responsible for the return of the complete book kit which includes the 10 books and the bag.
- A six dollar replacement fee will be charged for each book that is missing from the book club kit.
- A fifty dollar replacement fee will be charged if the entire book club kit is lost or misplaced.
- A fifty dollar replacement fee will be charged if the bag is missing.
Running Your Own Book Club
Whether you want to start a new book discussion group or re-energize your current club, you will have no problem finding helpful resources to help you set up your club or choose new reading material.
LitLovers provides steps for starting a club and includes tips for established clubs. The site contains over 3000 book discussion guides, generic questions and information about how to talk about books.
A one page resource for how to start a club, questions to ask, ideas for titles and even the history of book discussion groups.
Oprah has arguably one of the biggest book clubs around, and her website offers some tips for starting a club, choosing and discussing book and even suggestions for appetizers.
Over 4000 discussion guides are available with reviews and questions. Book clubs can also find news of upcoming releases.
Go straight to the author and publisher's websites. Many of these sites will include interesting news about the books and often discussion guides.
Don't forget to read local! Reading about your hometown or story by someone who shares your Edmonton perspective makes for extra fun book club discussions.