We have a lot of friends. They share with us so we can share with you.
Can't find something in the EPL catalogue? We'll make some calls.
If one of Alberta's 290 libraries has it, we'll bring it in for you. If they don't, we won't stop there. We'll actually make calls across Canada and, in some cases, to the U.S. to request material for our customers.
When you're done with it, bring it back to any EPL branch. We don't call it interlibrary loans for nothing!
You can borrow directly from Alberta public libraries using your EPL card using the ME Libraries service.
The best way to get started with an interlibrary loan is to search the Alberta Library Online.
Search for the item and if you find it click on REQUEST button and follow the instructions to submit your interlibrary loan request.
If the item is not found in the Alberta Library Online, just fill out our item request form.
Your interlibrary loan will be processed like all other EPL holds. This means:
- Interlibrary loan information can be viewed under "My Account" once the item has been received at EPL.
- Interlibrary loan holds should not be suspended because a suspended item will be immediately returned to the owning library.
- Interlibrary loan items are placed on regular "holds" shelves for customer pick-up.
- Interlibrary loan items must be checked out by staff. Interlibrary loans cannot be checked out via the express check machines.
- Interlibrary loans can be returned at any EPL location or item return drop.
What else can you request?
Remember: if you can't find an item, we'll do our best to find it for you. Just fill out our item request form.
Requests are accepted from Edmonton residents with valid EPL cards in good standing. Reciprocal and ME Library customers, and those with The Alberta Library (TAL) card need to use interlibrary loan services from their home libraries.
- You must use your own card when you request an interlibrary loan.
- Depending on the material, an interlibrary loan may take 3 to 6 weeks to obtain.
- Interlibrary loans are sometimes renewable depending on the policies of the loaning institution. Please contact our ILL staff (email@example.com / 780-496-7027) a week in advance of the item due date to determine if your item can be renewed
- Late fees for interlibrary loans are $1 per day per item.
- Recently published books may not be available through this service.
- Only CDs from other Alberta libraries are available through this service.
Interlibrary loan items do not belong to EPL, but are borrowed from other libraries. If you lose or damage an item you have borrowed on interlibrary loan, you will be charged a replacement cost and an administrative fee. Both amounts are set by the other library (not EPL) and the amounts may be substantial.