We have a lot of friends. They share with us so we can share with you.
Can't find something at EPL? We'll make some calls.
If one of Alberta's 300+ libraries has it, we'll bring it in for you. If they don't, we won't stop there. We'll actually make calls across Canada and the U.S. to request items for you. When you're done with it, bring it back to any EPL branch. We don't call it interlibrary loans for nothing!
Did you know?
- You can borrow directly from Alberta's public libraries with your EPL card by using the ME Libraries service to join any you'd like to borrow from with just a couple of clicks.
- You can also borrow directly from Alberta's academic (university/college), public, and provincial special libraries by getting a TAL Card when you visit a TAL library.
The best way to get started with an interlibrary loan is to search The Alberta Library (TAL) Online. Search for the item, and if you find it, click on the REQUEST button to submit it to us.
If the item is not found in TAL Online, just fill out our item request form.
Your interlibrary loan will be processed like all other EPL holds. This means:
- Your interlibrary loan item will appear under My Account once the item has been received at EPL. Before it has arrived at EPL, you can check the status of your request using the ILL Requests page.
- Interlibrary loan holds should not be suspended because a suspended item will be immediately sent back.
- Interlibrary loan items are placed on regular "holds" shelves for customer pick-up.
- Interlibrary loans can be returned at any EPL location or item return drop.
What else can you request?
Remember: if you can't find an item, we'll do our best to find it for you. Just fill out our item request form.
Requests are accepted from Edmonton residents with valid EPL cards in good standing. Reciprocal, ME Libraries customers, and those with The Alberta Library (TAL) card need to use interlibrary loan services from their home libraries.
- You must use your own card when you request an interlibrary loan.
- Depending on the material, an interlibrary loan may take 3 to 6 weeks to arrive.
- Interlibrary loans are sometimes renewable depending on the policies of the loaning institution. Please contact our ILL staff (email@example.com / 780-496-7027) a week in advance of the item due date to determine if your item can be renewed
- Late fees for interlibrary loans are $1 per day per item.
- Recently released books may not be available through this service.
Interlibrary loan items do not belong to EPL, but are borrowed from other libraries. If you lose or damage an item you have borrowed on interlibrary loan, you will be charged a replacement cost and an administrative fee, which totals $90 per item.