Starting August 4, we're OPEN!
We've expanded our services and can't wait to see you in our branches again. Our priority is, and has always been, the health and safety of our staff and customers. Please familiarize yourself with our guidelines before your visit, including the requirement to wear a face covering while inside our branches, per the City of Edmonton bylaw effective August 1.
You can always bring the Library to you with EPL from Home, where a world of endless possibilities await you.
Starting August 4, we will be in Phase 3 of our reopening plan. You will be able to browse the shelves, access public computers, create an account and more.
Libraries are in Stage 2 of Alberta’s Relaunch Strategy and EPL has developed a phased approach in collaboration with the City of Edmonton and Alberta Health Services. We continue to adhere to public health measures with reduced branch capacity and physical distancing restrictions. While inside our branches you are required to wear a face covering, per the City of Edmonton bylaw effective August 1.
We've expanded our services and starting August 4, you can:
- Browse the shelves
- Access public computers—we recommend booking in advance at mypc.epl.ca
- Print, fax and copy
- Ask EPL staff to find specific books or other library materials
- Create new accounts
- And more!
The health and safety of our staff and customers remain our top priority. Please familiarize yourself with our guidelines before your visit.
- Keep a physical distance of at least 2 metres (about the length of a hockey stick) from others.
- Branch capacity is reduced. Minimize your time in the branch as much as possible to allow access to the next customer. If the branch is full, line up outside.
- Seating is limited so keep your visit short and sweet.
- Sanitize your hands upon entering and exiting the branch and before using the computers.
- Use the self-checkout machines as much as possible.
- A face covering is required.
Frequently Asked Questions
FAQs - Reopening
Yes, you need face covering while in-branch. As EPL continues to align with City of Edmonton guidelines and health measures, face coverings must be worn in our spaces by customers effective August 1, 2020. There are some exceptions including:
- Children under the age of 2
- Those who cannot put one on or remove one without assistance
- Those unable to wear one because of a physical or mental concern, or protected reasons under the Alberta Human Rights Act
- People providing care or assistance to a person with a disability, when wearing the face covering would affect that service.
You can browse some of our collection, sign up for a library card, have access to computers, printing, faxing and photocopying. There will be limited seating and tables. You can access study room and washrooms.
Hours of operation are Tuesday to Sunday:
- Monday: closed
- Tuesday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Thursday: 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Friday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m.– 6 p.m.
- Sunday: 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Londonderry Branch is an exception due to mall hours. The hours are:
- Monday – closed
- Tuesday to Friday – 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Saturday – 11 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Sunday – 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Yes, computer access and printing will be available. We encourage you to reserve your slot in advance at mypc.epl.ca.
Items returned to the Library are quarantined for a minimum of 72 hours before they are processed for further borrowing. This quarantine period meets the standards recommended by the Canadian Urban Library Council and the Government of Alberta.
Have fun or get some work done. We're good with both.
All of our public computers offer:
- Internet and email access
- Word processing
- Microsoft Paint for image editing
- Printing, including web printing (access at http://print.epl.ca/)
Our computers offer simplified printing, a familiar desktop experience, Office 2016, Windows 10, cloud access and USB ports right on your monitor.
Access free Wi-Fi at EPL branches.
- Make sure your Wi-Fi-compatible device is on, and its wireless networking is enabled.
- Choose "EPL Free Wifi" as your network and launch your web browser.
- Read and agree to follow EPL's Public Internet Use Policy.
Book your public computer time with your EPL library card number and PIN. Our computers are popular, so don’t be late! If you’re more than 10 minutes late, your session will be cancelled.
As part of Phase 3, customers can borrow material and place new holds online.
While browsing shelves in-branch, we ask you to be choosy—all items you touch will be quarantined for a minimum of 72 hours before they are processed as recommended by the Canadian Urban Library Council and Provincial Government.
If you have materials you would like to return at one of the open locations, use the outside 24-hour material return chutes.