Please check back in early to mid May to sign up for summer sessions. More information will be posted once available.
If you submitted a Reading Buddies application in the past year, but were not placed into a Reading Buddies program, you will be emailed when recruitment starts in May.
Reading Buddies is an opportunity for junior and high school students ages 13 to 17 years to volunteer their time and enthusiasm mentoring kids in grades 2 to 4.
Teens and school-aged children are partnered for one-on-one reading and interactive games.
- To provide a safe, friendly environment for young students to experience the magic of reading.
- To increase young readers’ interest in reading.
- To provide a fun library experience.
- To provide an opportunity for youth volunteers to develop mentoring skills.
- Attend mandatory orientation/training session.
- Be a good role model for their little buddy.
- Facilitate Reading Buddies program to little buddy, including reading, literacy games and conversation.
- Love of reading.
- Experience interacting and assisting children and/or a desire to interact with and assist children.
- Ability to communicate.
- Strong English language skills.
- Patience, enthusiasm, and an encouraging attitude.
- Willingness to work in a group and cooperate with fellow teens and program coordinators.
- Reading Buddies volunteers must attend the mandatory training session.
- Ongoing guidance may be given at each Reading Buddies session.