Sign up today for Mountains 101, starting November 6, 2017. To register please follow these steps:
1. Visit https://www.coursera.org/learn/mountains-101 to register.
2. Click on the Enroll button.
3. Enter your name, email address and create a password for yourself under Sign Up.
4. Please select the Full Course, No Certificate option.
5. Select Go to Course to start.
Mountains 101 is a 12-lesson Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) from the University of Alberta teaches a comprehensive overview of Mountain Studies. Mountains 101 will cover an interdisciplinary field of study focusing on the physical, biological, and human dimensions of mountain places in Alberta, Canada, and around the world.
This course will provide students with a broad and integrated overview of the mountain world.
- Study the geological origins of mountains, how they’re built-up and worn-down over time.
- Learn about their importance for biodiversity and water cycles, globally and locally.
- Explore their cultural significance to societies around the globe, and how that relationship has evolved over time.
- Learn how mountains are used, how they’re protected, and how today they’re experiencing rapid change in a warming climate.
- Get general tips and tricks to safely enjoy time in the high alpine environment.