EPL’s mascot, “Lynx,” represents the library at community events. Mascot “handlers” partner up with the mascot to communicate with the public on behalf of the mascot (because mascots can’t speak!) and to ensure their safety.
- Support the Mascot by assisting “Lynx” to meet and greet the public, looking after physical and safety needs and escorting the Mascot at all times.
- Speak to the public on behalf of “Lynx” in a friendly, informative manner.
- Enjoy being in public spaces and working with the public.
- Out-going and friendly.
- Physically fit and able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Able to work independently and in a team environment.
- Have great social skills and communication skills.
Screening process for this role
- Interview process to assess communication skills.
- Must be comfortable working in crowds and with children.
- Reference Check.
- Police Information Check.
- Conditions vary and depend on location.
- Volunteers are on their feet and walking around, interacting with the public.
Type of Commitment
Ongoing, event dates and time will vary.
Various, depending on event and weather conditions. Volunteers can expect a shift to last between 1-2 hours.
- Training with EPL Marketing and Communications team on the specifics being an effective mascot handler.
- Site specific orientation to each event will take place at each event.
Benefits to the Volunteer
- Introduce yoU to new people and new experiences.
- Bring fun to the community.
- Develop new inter-personal, communication, leadership skills.