Are you an adult with a passion for sharing knowledge and helping students succeed in school? EPL is looking for volunteers for our Homework Help for Teens program. We are seeking volunteers with expertise in Math at the junior high and high school levels.
- Assist high school and junior high school students with subject-specific homework questions and test preparation specific to Math and/or Essay writing.
- Work under the supervision of library staff and alongside other volunteers in a positive and collaborative work environment.
- Provide students with encouragement and support.
- In depth knowledge of junior high and high school Math.
- Fluent in both oral and written English.
- Excellent problem solving ability.
- Excellent communication skills
- Familiarity with the Alberta curriculum
- Previous teaching/tutoring experience is preferred.
- Experience working with teens.
Volunteers can choose between three locations offering this program:
- Whitemud Crossing Branch, every Wednesday from May 3 to June 21, 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Jasper Place Branch, every Tuesday from May 2 to June 20, 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Abbottsfield Branch, every Tuesday from May 2 to June 20, 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
TIME AND LENGTH OF COMMITMENT
- Volunteers can commit to more than one library branch to volunteer as a Homework Help volunteer.
- We ask that volunteers commit to at least six out of eight weeks of the program.
- Volunteers will participate in a mandatory training seminar that will include an overview of our volunteer software system, duties and responsibilities, and tutoring basics.
- Training will be held at Whitemud Crossing Branch.
- Volunteers can choose between one of two training dates:
- April 25, 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- April 26, 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- The volunteer will be eligible for a reference after completing their volunteer term.
- This position will be providing invaluable support for junior high and high school students.