We sent out a brief, fun survey about libraries to all of the nominees running in the 2017 Edmonton civic election to help you get to better know your candidates.
These are the answers that Walter Youb from Ward 12 sent back to us.
1. What is your favourite library memory or experience?
When I was 7 or 8 my parents let me get my own library card and I picked out 10 books. I was so proud to hand my card to the librarian.
I was given my own library book bag for free. I used that bag until it fell apart.
2. What is your favourite book, movie or song right now?
My all time favourite series of books is the Foundation series by Issac Asimov. It opened up a whole new way of looking at the world.
I first read it at age 10 and next at 20. I had completely different experiences from both readings.
3. What magazines, newspapers, blogs, Twitter accounts and/or podcasts do you follow?
4. Which fictional character do you most relate to and why?
Wow that is a tough question. It would depend on my mood at the time but I find, I in some way identify and relate to most of the protagonists in the books I read. That's probably why I choose those books.
5. What is one book you think everyone should read and why?
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. The reason: Because everyone can use a good laugh.
6. What book is on your nightstand (or on your eReader or tablet) right now?
I am currently reading A Column of Fire by Ken Follet. It is part of the Kingsbridge series.
7. Election Day (October 16) is also Boss' Day. Who was your very first boss and what was your job? What was one important lesson you learned from them?
My first boss was Mr. Goodings. I learned that as a boss you need to separate your personal feelings and judge your employees based on their performance.
8. What role do you see EPL playing in a thriving and vibrant Edmonton?
Libraries are miniature town squares for neighbourhoods. Especially with our winters where outdoor activities are limited. It is a place for people to gather, learn, and share.
My family visits weekly with our daughter and I love seeing all the other families and children enjoying themselves.