We sent out a brief, fun survey about libraries to all of the nominees running in the 2017 Edmonton civic election to help you get to better know your candidates.
These are the answers that Matthew Kleywegt from Ward 7 sent back to us.
1. What is your favourite library memory or experience?
Having my mom bring me there on weekends and being able to roam free and read whatever I wanted
2. What is your favourite book, movie or song right now?
I'm currently reading Indian Horse and I'm really enjoying it.
Favourite song: "Gun Song" by the Lumineers
3. What magazines, newspapers, blogs, Twitter accounts and/or podcasts do you follow?
4. Which fictional character do you most relate to and why?
Peter Pan. I still feel like a big kid most days. Also I'm 39 and I regularly get carded by 22-year-olds.
5. What is one book you think everyone should read and why?
1984. I think given the current state of politics and the rise of all seeing surveillance, this story is very timely.
6. What book is on your nightstand (or on your eReader or tablet) right now?
Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese
7. Election Day (October 16) is also Boss' Day. Who was your very first boss and what was your job? What was one important lesson you learned from them?
My very first boss was the baker at the bakery I worked at. My job was to clean it after was done.
8. What role do you see EPL playing in a thriving and vibrant Edmonton?
I see EPL as a one of the last truly public spaces. It's a place were all people can come to learn, be entertained and enjoy community.