Old? No Way! We're Just Getting Started! Saturday, March 8, 2014 at the Radisson Hotel Edmonton South
From Orwell to Asimov, from Skynet to Spock, the 2014 Books2Eat gala will challenge cake designers to prepare creations inspired by tales of the future, galaxies unseen and ideas uncovered.
Over the past 100 years, EPL has come a long way and accomplished many things, but we’re just getting started! Books2Eat 204 promises to be a cosmic event that will ignite EPL’s path and set the course to keep us ahead by a century.
If you are interested in attending or in hosting a table, please contact Therese McAuley at email@example.com or 780-496-7051.
EPL's Books2Eat Gala is one of Edmonton's most unique and interesting fundraising events, uniting the literary and culinary worlds all in support of a fantastic cause.
Inspired by the International Edible Book Festival, Books2Eat challenges chefs to design cakes based on literary themes. Enjoy an evening of fine food, irresistible cakes, amazing silent auction packages, heart-stopping stories, the company of friends and an opportunity to give – all in support of the Edmonton Public Library.
EPL celebrated its birthday March 13, 2013 and the Books2Eat Gala is the closing event of our Centennial celebrations. This year’s Gala will include our inaugural EPL Champion Award honouring someone committed to establishing EPL as one of the most innovative and loved libraries in Canada. Our first award recipient is former mayor Stephen Mandel.
Great libraries shape great cities. They are instrumental in building the economic, social and cultural foundation of a vibrant city. Every day thousands of Edmontonians directly benefit from a wide variety of services from EPL:
- Children attend free early literacy and school-aged programs giving them a jumpstart on essential literacy skills.
- New Canadians utilize ESL materials and attend free English practice programs to help master the language while establishing connections to the commmunity.
- Adults take advantage of one-on-one computer training and are able to try some of the latest eTechnology.
- Edmontonians who have fallen on hard times find a sanctuary where they can access resources to help take their lives in a new direction.
EPL is generously funded through grants from the City of Edmonton and the Province of Alberta. EPL is also committed to raising private funds to support services and special programs that help make our great library even better. Both public and private support is a necessity for a great library.
EPL turned 100 in 2013 and our 2012 Books2Eat Gala kick started our centennial fundraising campaign, which focuses on accessibility and ensuring all Edmontonians have easy access to essential library services throughout our growing city:
Welcome Baby: Investing in early childhood literacy is the most cost-effective strategy to ensure a community's long-term economic prosperity. Welcome Baby is an expansion of EPL's successful partnership with Alberta Health Services and will deliver library cards and early literacy resources at public health clinics as part of the newborn immunization process ensuring every child born in Edmonton has equal access to early literacy materials needed to ensure success later in life.
Literacy Vans: Not your traditional bookmobile, EPL literacy vans will bring the latest technology resources as well as library programs and services to people in new and underserved communities throughout our city including seniors' homes, daycares, youth groups, schools and more. We do not want location or transportation issues to be a barrier for those who need us the most.
As a registered charity, we rely on fundraising to make EPL the best it can be. To show your support by making a tax-deductible donation, please contact Coby Benoit, Fund Development Manager, at 780-496-1856 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2014 Books2Eat honourary chair is Sarah Chan.
Sarah Chan (MA) is a teacher, musician, writer, and mother of Dexter (age 4) and Alice (age 1). She runs her private piano studio in the University area and also publishes the lifestyle blog, Girls and Bicycles, which promotes active, healthy living, with an emphasis on cycling and public transit. She has a love for photography, and is often found romping around Edmonton with a camera in hand. When she isn’t teaching, writing, or taking care of the kids, she is found supporting the local arts scene; local restaurants; planning charity events; and promoting causes alongside her husband, mayor Don Iveson.
To mark our next century EPL, is presenting the inaugural EPL Champion Award at Books2Eat 2014 to Stephen Mandel!
About the Award
This award honours and recognizes an individual, group or organization that has demonstrated active support and strong commitment to establishing the Edmonton Public Library as one of the most innovative, community-led and well-used libraries in Canada. The result of their time, talent and resources is enhanced library services for all Edmontonians.
The winner must have demonstrated a record for support for EPL, libraries, community, literacy and the values of libraries in general. Support can include:
- Significant financial contributions
- In-kind contributions through partnerships, connections and/or time
- Library advocacy in government, in the private sector or in the community
This award is intended for non-library personal and will only be presented if suitable candidates are identified.
Award recipients are nominated by EPL executive, the Director of Marketing and Fund Development and EPL’s Board of Trustees. Final selection is made by EPL’s CEO and Board Chair.
Thank you to our sponsors!
To learn more about sponsorship opportunies with EPL, contact Sandy Sereda, Fund Development Specialist, at 780-442-5018 or email@example.com.
The Art of Edible Art
Each year our talented cake artists create amazing and edible works of art. This year, we are challenging them to prepare creations inspired by tales of the future, galaxies unseen and ideas uncovered to portray our theme of Just Getting Started.
This year, guests will be dazzled by cakes from:
- Whimsical Cake Studio
- Cheryl's Creations
- Fantasyland Hotel
- LauraBella Treats
- Over the Top Cakes
- Red Ox Inn
- Barbara Spencer
- La Poire Cakes
If you are a talented cake artist and would like to be a part of Books2Eat, contact Christina Kim at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780-442-5019.
The 2014 Books2Eat guest judge is Karlynn Johnston.
Karlynn is the author of the popular award winning website The Kitchen Magpie, a diverse food and lifestyle blog, which covers all aspects of family life, from delicious home cooked meals for families, her many travels and (mis)adventures with kids. A proud Canadian girl, mama and wife, her simple yet delicious family-friendly recipes have been featured in many popular publications both online and in print. When she's not in her kitchen, fishing at the lake or playing outdoors somewhere, you can find her on Twitter, Pinterest and of course Facebook.
Great Packages, Great Cause
Enclosed is a full list of our fantastic Silent Auction Packages so that you can start your bidding plans early. Highlights include:
- A three-day luxury car rental and two-night stay at the Jasper Park Lodge care of Lexus of Edmontonand Fairmont Hotels.
- Tapas and anexpert pokerand blackjack tutorial in a private room at Sabor Davino.
- A wine tasting party for 14 courtesy of Vines of Riverbend and the Sawmill.
- A progressive dinner for six courtesy of Century Hospitality Group with a Mercedes limo coach for the night from Prestige Limousine.
- A private gaming and making party at EPL’s Makerspace including a Fender electric guitar donated by Long & McQuade.
- A $1900 diamond pendant courtesy of Crawley’s Fine Jewelry.
NEW this year! Live Auction:
We have three amazing live auction packages to share this year.
- The Ivesons Make Six: Is Mayor Don Iveson really as smart and fun as he seems? Find out when you and three of your friends join him and funky first lady Sarah Chan for a delicious four-course dinner at one of Edmonton’s premier fine dining restaurants, The Marc. (Value: Priceless)
- High-flyer: Whiskaway to Vancouver for the weekend with three of your favorite people on a private luxury jet courtesy of Aurora Jet Partners. (Value: $10,000)
- Napa Dream Getaway: Get away to Northern California with airfare for two to San Francisco and Sonoma. Enjoy 3 nights at the Fairmont San Francisco and 3 nights at the Fairmont Sonoma with a private 5 hour chauffeured wine tour. (Value: $10,000)
Missed the 2012 gala? Attended the event and would like to relive some of the most inspirational moments? We invite you to watch some of the inspirational speeches and videos from the 2012 Books2Eat Gala.
Colin Mulholland, EPL Customer
Colin Mulholland discusses how EPL's outreach services have impacted his life.
Linda Cook, EPL CEO
EPL CEO, Linda Cook, gives and overview of EPL and discusses our Centennial Fundraising goals.
Early Literacy Testimonial Video
Learn how EPL's Early Literacy initiatives benefit our youngest customers.
Outreach Testimonial Video
EPL customers discuss the impact that EPL's outreach services have had on their lives.
Supporter Testimonial Video
Two EPL benefactors discuss the importance of supporting the library.