Saturday, April 18 2015 6 - 10 pm
Radisson Edmonton South, 4440 Gateway Boulevard
Books2Eat is Edmonton Public Library's signature fundraising event. Last year's Books2Eat was the most successful ever, with over 500 people in attendance and over $206,000 raised. We're hoping for a sell-out event again this year. Enjoy an evening of fine food, irresistable cakes, amazing silent and live auction packages, the company of friends and an opportunity to give - all in support of Edmonton Public Library.
EPL's Books2Eat Gala is one of Edmonton's most unique and interesting fundraising events, uniting the literary and culinary worlds all in support of a fantastic cause.
Inspired by the International Edible Book Festival, Books2Eat challenges chefs to design cakes based on literary themes. Enjoy an evening of fine food, irresistible cakes, amazing silent auction packages, heart-stopping stories, the company of friends and an opportunity to give – all in support of the Edmonton Public Library.
Great libraries shape great cities. They are instrumental in building the economic, social and cultural foundation of a vibrant city. Every day thousands of Edmontonians directly benefit from a wide variety of services from EPL:
- Children attend free early literacy and school-aged programs giving them a jumpstart on essential literacy skills.
- New Canadians utilize ESL materials and attend free English practice programs to help master the language while establishing connections to the commmunity.
- Adults take advantage of one-on-one computer training and are able to try some of the latest eTechnology.
- Edmontonians who have fallen on hard times find a sanctuary where they can access resources to help take their lives in a new direction.
EPL is generously funded through grants from the City of Edmonton and the Province of Alberta. EPL is also committed to raising private funds to support services and special programs that help make our great library even better. Both public and private support is a necessity for a great library.
Welcome Baby: Investing in early childhood literacy is the most cost-effective strategy to ensure a community's long-term economic prosperity. Welcome Baby is an expansion of EPL's successful partnership with Alberta Health Services and will deliver library cards and early literacy resources at public health clinics as part of the newborn immunization process ensuring every child born in Edmonton has equal access to early literacy materials needed to ensure success later in life.
Literacy Vans: Not your traditional bookmobile, EPL literacy vans will bring the latest technology resources as well as library programs and services to people in new and underserved communities throughout our city including seniors' homes, daycares, youth groups, schools and more. We do not want location or transportation issues to be a barrier for those who need us the most.
As a registered charity, we rely on fundraising to make EPL the best it can be. To show your support by making a tax-deductible donation, please contact Alexis Millar, Marketing & Fund Development Assistant, at 780-496-6626 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2015 Books2Eat honorary chair is Sarah Chan.
Sarah Chan (MA) is a teacher, musician, writer, and mother of Dexter (age 5) and Alice (age 2). She runs her private piano studio in the University area and also publishes the lifestyle blog, Girls and Bicycles, which promotes active, healthy living, with an emphasis on cycling and public transit. She has a love for photography, and is often found romping around Edmonton with a camera in hand. When she isn’t teaching, writing, or taking care of the kids, she is found supporting the local arts scene; local restaurants; planning charity events; and promoting causes alongside her husband, mayor Don Iveson.
To celebrate our Centenary, in 2014 EPL inaugurated the Stephen Mandel EPL Championship Award, honouring a group or individual who has contributed to making EPL one of the most loved and recognized libraries in Canada. The 2015 recipient of this award is Stanley A. Milner. 2015 marks 50 years since Stan Milner, a young businessman and Chair of the Edmonton Public Library Board, advocated tirelessly for the funding of a new public library building as a Centennial project for the City of Edmonton. His persistence has benefited the citizens of Edmonton for half a century -and Stan has continued to support EPL ever since. The Books2Eat Gala will afford us an opportunity to recognize Stan Milner's enormous contribution to our success.
About the Award
This award honours and recognizes an individual, group or organization that has demonstrated active support and strong commitment to establishing the Edmonton Public Library as one of the most innovative, community-led and well-used libraries in Canada. The result of their time, talent and resources is enhanced library services for all Edmontonians.
The winner must have demonstrated a record for support for EPL, libraries, community, literacy and the values of libraries in general. Support can include:
- Significant financial contributions
- In-kind contributions through partnerships, connections and/or time
- Library advocacy in government, in the private sector or in the community
This award is intended for non-library personnel and will only be presented if suitable candidates are identified.
Award recipients are nominated by EPL executive, the Director of Marketing and Fund Development and EPL’s Board of Trustees. Final selection is made by EPL’s CEO and Board Chair.
Thank you to our 2014 sponsors! Please consider being our hero by sponsoring Books2Eat in 2015.
To learn more about sponsorship opportunies with EPL, contact Emmy Stuebing, Associate Director of Fund Development at email@example.com or 780.496.6429.
The Art of Edible Art
Each year our talented cake artists create amazing and edible works of art. This year, we are challenging them to prepare creations inspired by tales of adventure and sacrifice, herculean acts and ordinary people who do extraordinary things. From Superman to the Caped Crusader and from Amelia Earhart to Anne Frank, heroes come in all shapes and sizes.
In 2014, guests were dazzled by cakes from:
- Whimsical Cake Studio
- Cheryl's Creations
- Fantasyland Hotel
- LauraBella Treats
- Over the Top Cakes
- Red Ox Inn
- Barbara Spencer
- La Poire Cakes
- Shaw Conference Centre
If you are a talented cake artist and would like to be a part of Books2Eat, contact Laura George at firstname.lastname@example.org or 780.996.0676
The 2015 Books2Eat guest judge is the Edmonton Journal's Brittney LeBlanc.
Brittney is a well known blogger, tweeter and the food lover behind Gastropost - the Edmonton Journal's weekly food photo challenge.
Great Packages, Great Cause
Attached is a full list of 2014's fantastic Silent Auction Packages. 2015's will be just as great! Highlights included:
- A three-day luxury car rental and two-night stay at the Jasper Park Lodge care of Lexus of Edmontonand Fairmont Hotels.
- Tapas and an expert poker and blackjack tutorial in a private room at Sabor Davino.
- A wine tasting party for 14 courtesy of Vines of Riverbend and the Sawmill.
- A progressive dinner for six courtesy of Century Hospitality Group with a Mercedes limo coach for the night from Prestige Limousine.
- A private gaming and making party at EPL’s Makerspace including a Fender electric guitar donated by Long & McQuade.
- A $1900 diamond pendant courtesy of Crawley’s Fine Jewelry.
We had three amazing live auction packages to share in 2014. Keep checking in for the 2015 offerings.
- The Ivesons Make Six: Is Mayor Don Iveson really as smart and fun as he seems? Find out when you and three of your friends join him and funky first lady Sarah Chan for a delicious four-course dinner at one of Edmonton’s premier fine dining restaurants, The Marc. (Value: Priceless)
- High-flyer: Whiskaway to Vancouver for the weekend with three of your favorite people on a private luxury jet courtesy of Aurora Jet Partners. (Value: $10,000)
- Napa Dream Getaway: Get away to Northern California with airfare for two to San Francisco and Sonoma. Enjoy 3 nights at the Fairmont San Francisco and 3 nights at the Fairmont Sonoma with a private 5 hour chauffeured wine tour. (Value: $10,000)
Missed the 2014 gala? Attended the event and would like to relive some of the most inspirational moments? We invite you to watch some of the inspirational speeches and videos from the 2014 Books2Eat Gala.