Photo Collections

   Collection: Lost Buildings

The lost building pages were originally a joint project of the Edmonton Public Library and the City of Edmonton Archives. The project highlights buildings that have been demolished or renovated beyond recognition. Photographs are provided by and are property of the Archives, (unless otherwise noted). Thank-you to Ken Dayeson for his donation of photographs for use on these pages.


City of Edmonton Archives
EA-122-8
Edmonton Hotel(Built: 1876)
Donald Ross`s Edmonton Hotel was a popular community gathering place during the settlement`s early days, and soon Donald had to build this three-storey addition. Public meetings were sometimes held here to discuss such current issues as hiring a school teacher or deciding to incorporate Edmonton as a town. At other times, it was simply a popular spot for an evening`s entertainment over a game of pool or billiards. When times were hectic at the hotel, even the billiard tables were used as extra beds. One morning a guest complained at having to pay 50 cents for such a night`s accommodation. His host obligingly offered to let him pay the usual billiard table rate instead, 75 cents an hour. Or if he preferred, he could move on to the next hotel - in Portage la Prairie. The hotel burned down in 1925 and today a park bench and a concrete replica of the old fireplace, made of river clay and Saskatoon bushes, marks the original site of Edmonton`s "pioneer house of entertainment" and serves as a memorial to its convivial landlord.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-10-596
Jasper House Hotel(Built: 1882)
Edmonton`s second hotel was the Jasper House, shown here as it looked in 1890. It was built on the north side of Jasper Avenue, just east of 97 Street, in 1882 by James Goodridge (1852-1900) to replace his earlier boarding house. The hotel business has flourished there ever since, although the building has undergone extensive alterations, eventually becoming the Hub Hotel. For many years, Jasper House was Edmonton`s first and only brick building. Besides offering accommodation, food and drink, the hotel was used as temporary business quarters for newly arrived entrepreneurs, such as Emanuel Raymer, jeweller, and J.C.F. Bowen, lawyer and later Alberta`s Lieutenant-Governor. As well as being the headquarters for the Edmonton-Calgary stagecoach and a meeting place for many early sports clubs, it was home to the Goodridge family. The upstairs door with the treacherous landing was used for getting furniture up to the second floor. It was over fourteen years before a balcony was added.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-180-1
Imperial Bank of Canada(Photo: 1891)
Opening in 1891, this was the bank`s first Edmonton branch and the first bank between Calgary and the Arctic Circle. The building was formerly a saloon occupied by Donald Ross.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-180-2
Imperial Bank of Canada(Photo: 1893)

 

City of Edmonton Archives
EB-14-39
General Hospital(Built: 1895)
Before 1895, Edmonton doctors had to send their patients to the small hospital operated by the Grey Nuns at the St. Albert Mission, and the doctors had to traverse the rough nine-mile trail there and back each time they visited their patients. Around 1893, six Edmonton doctors urged the Mission authorities to build a new hospital closer to the centre of population emerging in Edmonton. The Grey Nuns soon purchased a whole block from the Hudson`s Bay Company for $2,300 and began plans for their $30,000 36-bed General Hospital which, when it opened, was one of the largest and most expensive buildings in town, offering a splendid view from its attic balconies. A stable was built at the back of the hospital to accommodate the horses of the staff and visitors.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-500-260
McDougall Mansion(Built: 1898)
One of Edmonton`s best examples of Late Victorian residential architecture was built in 1898 by the prominent pioneer businessman, John A. McDougall. A founder of McDougall and Secord Ltd., Mr. McDougall also served as Mayor of Edmonton and Provincial M.L.A. As one of the first elegant mansions in Edmonton, the McDougall estate also included expansive lawns, formal gardens, stables, and a tennis court. The McDougalls were often hosts to tennis matches and formal entertainment in the city`s higher social circles. The family resided in the mansion until 1946 when the I.O.D.E. purchased it for a veterans` children`s shelter. In 1968 the YWCA took possession of the mansion and operated a women`s rehabilitation center until 1974, when the house was demolished for the new YWCA building. An arch at the entrance of the YWCA commemorates the old mansion.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-10-865
Public Hospital on Boyle Street(Opened: 1900)
Opened in December, 1900, the hospital had three private rooms, one public ward and a dispensary on the ground floor. The operating room was on the second floor, along with five private rooms, one public ward and a bath. The first superintendant, Miss Jessie Turnbull, received $35 a month as a salary. Patients were charged $1 a day or $6 a week for a bed in a public ward, and $2 a day or $12 a week for a private room. Many patients could not afford to pay and the hospital had difficulty collecting the fees, so it began to demand a deposit before a patient would be admitted. Medicare was still far in the future! In 1901, the verandah was added, plus an annex to provide a new kitchen and an isolation ward for infectious diseases. The Public Hospital was in operation until 1912, when it was replaced by the new Royal Alexandra Hospital, now known as the Glenrose.
 

Misericordia Hospital: 85 years of service in Edmonton
MH-096-001
Misericordia Maternity Hospital(Opened: 1900)
The Maternity Hospital of the Misericordia Sisters, 1900. This building was originally a warehouse used by the Edmonton firm of Norris and Carey who operated a general store in the area. It was purchased and remodelled by the St. Albert Diocese for use by the Sisters. The utility pole carried the telephone line between St. Albert and Edmonton.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-10-1787
Baalim Block(Built: 1902)
The Baalim Block (photo - right) was built in 1902 by Arthur George Baalim, who arrived in Edmonton in the spring of 1900. The facade of the building featured cast iron elements as decoration, rarely used on buildings of that time in Edmonton. Destroyed by fire in 2003.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-10-1787
Duncan Block(Built: 1902)
The historic Duncan Block (photo - center), housing Alberts family restaurant, the adjacent 101-year-old Baalim Block and a one-storey wooden building constructed early in the 20th century were destroyed by fire in 2003. The Duncan Block and the one-storey building directly to the north, added sometime later, were built with a technique called balloon framing. The technique called for supporting walls framed at 16 inch intervals by two-by-four inch wood beams atop floors supported by two-by-10 wooden joists. Insulation, meagre as it was, was likely paper, sawdust and cardboard. Balloon framing provides fire with a straight run up to roof between the inner and outer walls, meaning that once fire takes hold within the walls, it can spread in a matter of minutes. The Duncan Block was where Albert Assali opened his first pancake house in 1962. From this first location, Assali built his Alberts Family Restaurant to become a franchised chain, with two dozen locations around Alberta. The history of the buildings that were lost will never be replaced, but the spirit of them will endure, just as Old Strathcona endured against all odds 30 years ago. The ensuing rejuvenation propelled by so many citizens who knew it was something special and those who have come to love the old in Strathcona, are a guarantee the replacement buildings will respect the past and build on it.
 

Provincial Archives of Alberta
B445n
Thistle Rink(Built: 1903)
The Thistle Rink, home of the Edmonton Thistles hockey team, was located on 2nd Street (now 102nd Street) and 102 Avenue, behind the King Edward Hotel (now Manulife Centre). It was destroyed in a spectacular fire in October, 1913. In 1906 it was the site of first sitting of the Alberta Legislature.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EB-14-107
Cristall House(Photo: 1903)
J. St. Clair Blackett moved into this house on Victoria Avenue in 1912, but remained here for only five years. Mr. Blackett was managing director of Alberta Agencies Ltd., an insurance, real estate, financial and steamship ticket agency. In 1921, Abraham Cristall, founder of Edmonton`s Jewish community, bought this house for $45,000.00. A prominent business man, Mr. Cristall was best known as the proprietor of a men`s clothing store, the Cristall Palace. The Cristall family sold the house in 1958, and it stood vacant until 1966. It was demolished c.1969, along with the old Mayflower Apartments for the construction of the present Mayflower Apartment building, completed in 1971.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EB-14-140
McDonald and Lessard Homes(Photo: 1903)

 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-500-121
Alberta Hotel(Built: 1903)
The Alberta Hotel was built in 1903 by Fred Jackson and Del Grierson at a cost of $55,000. This was one of the best hotels in Edmonton and was not surpassed until the enlargement of the King Edward Hotel in 1910 and the construction of the MacDonald Hotel in 1914. The architect was James Wize, who also designed the McLean Block. The hotel is considered to be an important Edmonton landmark and is one of the few remaining structures built before Edmonton`s incorporation as a City in 1904. The hotel is constructed of brick and stone in the Victorian Romanesque style. The corner tower, stone stringcourses, rusticated base and detailing suggest a Richardsonian Romanesque influence, and reflect a hybrid of styles. Details which give the structure a picturesque, castle-like character include the round-arched windows on the second floor, segmentally-arched windows on the third floor, stone voussoirs and stringcourses, and the conical corner tower.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-500-125
Windsor Hotel(Opened: 1903)
With its taxi team standing ready, the Windsor Hotel sits alone at the southwest corner of Jasper Avenue and 101 Street. To add to the comfort of guests, whose arrivals were announced daily in the newspapers, a local beer wagon pulls up for another delivery of barrels for the popular barroom inside. The 40-room hotel was formally opened on February 9, 1903.

On July 1, 1913, Robert McDonald, who was owner of the Yale Hotel since 1911, bought the Windsor Hotel and the Windsor Block next door for $500,000. A month later he changed the name to the Hotel Selkirk. He did extensive renovations on it and when it officially opened on (November 10, 1913,)he advertised 100 guest rooms, as the renovations included extending the hotel into the Windsor Block on the second and third floors.

In 1950, additions were made to increase the capacity to 97 rooms. Though modest in size, the hotel was a very popular meeting place, particularly with the sports set, due to its central location, convenience to taxis, comfortable pub and classy basement restaurant known as Johnson`s Cafe. The well-worn landmark was severely damaged by fire on December 18, 1962, and was consequently demolished the following September to make way for the Royal Bank of Canada tower.

A replica of the hotel was built from the original blueprints and stands in Fort Edmonton Park.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-500-104
Alberta College(Built: 1904)
The institution was formed in 1903, by Rev. T.C. Buchanan to fulfill the will of pioneer Rev. George McDougall, who stated that part of his land was to be devoted to education. This original building opened in November, 1904, and the adjoining 50-room addition was erected the following summer in time for Bulyea`s inauguration day visit. This first building, along with otheres built on this site in 1926, 1950, 1951 and 1959, served growing numbers of students, who took courses in academic, commercial and musical disciplines, until it was finally demolished in 1961 to make way for the new administration building which opened in 1964.
 


EA-10-604
King Edward Hotel(Built: 1904)
The King Edward Hotel was built in 1904 with additions in 1908 and 1940s. The architect was M.A. Magoon. It acquired an addition in 1910 that allowed it to surpass the Alberta Hotel as Edmonton's leading hotel. It was located on 1st Street (now 101st Street) and 102nd Avenue and burned to the ground in 1982 to be replaced by the ManuLife Building.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-267-251
Empire Block(Built: 1905)
The Empire Block was constructed in 1905 by McDougall and Secord, Ltd. as an office and retail building. Liggett`s Owl Drugs Company Ltd. occupied most of the main floor while the upper three floors were reserved for offices. In 1942, a fire severely damaged the building, but it reopened three months later. In 1962, the old Empire Building was torn down by the McDougall-Secord Company to make room for the new 11-storey Empire Building completed in 1963. The McDougall-Secord Company continues to maintain offices at this site.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-160-863
C.N. Station(Built: 1905)
The original Canadian Northern Railway Station, built in 1905 west of 101 Street and demolished in 1952, was replaced by the Canadian National Express Office parking lot. (In 1925, Canadian Northern merged with other railways to become Canadian National Railways.) In 1928 the new Canadian National Railways Building was constructed east of the old station, and in 1948, a third storey was added because of increased railway business. This station was demolished in 1964 for the CN Tower, constructed in 1966.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-341-10
Shaw House(Photo: circa 1906)

 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-190-3
Edmonton Club(Built: 1906)
The Edmonton Club is the City`s oldest private club, established in 1899. In 1906, this organization constructed its exclusive businessmen`s luncheon club at a cost of $22,000. A few years after its construction, the building was altered significantly with the addition of a third storey and mansard roof. The interior displayed subdued elegance with finely moulded mahogany and oak panels. The second floor featured a large billiard room, dining room, card rooms, and a balcony which faced the river valley. The club operated until 1967, and in 1968 Alberta Government Telephones demolished the building for the construction of the AGT Tower, completed in 1971. The Edmonton Club reopened in a new building just south of its former site.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-500-151
Federal Penitentiary(Built: 1906)
Opened in 1906 with Matthew McCauley as Chief Warden, Edmonton`s federal penitentiary served as the holding place for outlaws and criminals for 15 years. In 1924, after three years of vacancy, the building became a warehouse.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-551-8
Misericordia Hospital(Opened: 1906)
Like a dignified Victorian dowager, the Misericordia Hospital stands impressively in the bush at 98 Avenue and 111 Street. The Roman Catholic Sisters of Misericorde ("compassion"), ministering mainly to unwed mothers, opened a house shelter on this site in 1900. In 1904, a maternity hospital was added. The new 60-bed hospital opened in March, 1906, and after successive additions in 1922, 1939 and 1955, it reached a final capacity of 400 beds. Edmonton`s third oldest hospital closed its 63 years of service when the new 550-bed Misericordis Hospital opened on 1969.
 


EA-275-812
Cecil Hotel(Built: 1906)
The 97-year-old Cecil sat empty since January of 2003 when officials from the fire department and the Capital Health Authority cited the tavern and rooming house for sanitation and fire-code violations. Ironically, the Cecil started life as one of Edmonton's finest hostelries. Designed by noted local architect Roland Lines, the hotel opened in 1906.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-9-163
Secord Mansion(Built: 1907)
Richard Secord, pioneer Edmonton businessman, built this mansion in 1907. A family association with La Rochelle, France inspired him to name the house "Chateau Rochelle". It was designed by Henry Johnson, who was the architect for the McDougall Mansion. This Regency-style home was richly furnished with intricate ceiling mouldings, gold leaf, bleached mahogany, maple and oak. Venetian lace curtains graced the windows in the drawing room, and paintings from Europe adorned the walls. The Secord family occupied the house from 1908 until the death of Mrs. Secord in 1951. In that year the house was purchased by the City, and the Edmonton Art Gallery had its home there from 1952 to 1967. The City then sold the house to developers in 1967, and in 1968 it was demolished to make way for Secord House apartments.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-500-149
Alberta Sanitarium(Secured: 1907)
It is fitting that this new country, this lusty young city of Edmonton, should boast of one of these institutions for the promotion of health and the general good. The Alberta Sanitarium was organized in March 1904. A new location was sought but not until 1907 was a suitable place found when the splendid site on Third street was secured. Treatments are given in hydrotheraphy, electricity, and massage. An up-to date operating room, a Finsen Ray machine, sparays and electric light baths are being installed and are a considerable addition to the sanitarium. The institution is receiving not only the patronage of the best of Edmonton`s citizens, but has constantly on its list patients living in the towns and country in various parts of the province.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-180-3
Imperial Bank of Canada(Built: 1907)
This Neo-Classical style "temple" was built in 1907 on the site of Edmonton`s first bank, situated here since 1892. Built at a cost of $90,000, the new sandstone structure displayed an elegant marble interior and porcelain tile floor. An interesting feature was its special room for women customers who wished to deposit their real estate gains without the knowledge of their husbands. The second floor housed the offices of a law firm, and the third floor was reserved for bank clerk living quarters. In 1950, the building was demolished to make room for the present six storey Imperial Bank, constructed in 1952.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-500-16
Transit Hotel(Built: 1908)
When built, the boomtown structure went up in an area known informally as Packingtown, due to the proximity of the J.Y. Griffin and Burns meat packing plants. The Transit`s exterior no longer sports its original styling. The two-storey verandah and the finialed roof line are gone. The wood siding is covered with stucco. One storey additions have been built onto the north and east faces. Little remains of its original interior decor, save for doors and trim, decorative radiators and the old boiler. When Patrick Dwyer bought the land it sits on in 1907 along with another 198 lots in the same area, he paid $3,000. The area is still known as the Dwyer subdivision. The hotel itself cost another $50,000. In September 1908, under the headline, "New hotel in Packing-town," The Edmonton Bulletin reviewed the Transit`s credentials. "The Transit Hotel, the commodious new hostelry that will supply the hotel accommodations for Edmonton`s thriving suburb commonly known as Packingtown opened to the public on Friday last." The watering hole measured 32 by 80 feet, had 40 bedrooms and the two upper flats were provided with lavatories and bathrooms. The first floor featured a roomy rotunda, office, a dining room and a kitchen. The hotel was built with electricity and was supplied with hot and cold running water.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-500-148
Y.M.C.A.(Opened: 1908)
The Edmonton YMCA was instituted by an act of Legislature in 1907, three years after Edmonton became a city. The original building officially opened in 1908 and offered a swimming pool, employment bureau, education classes, bible study, a gymnasium, running track, and residence. It was started by a group of prominent Edmontonians like Alex Rutherford and John A. McDougall, who helped raise nearly $28,000 to begin construction of a YMCA building. The Edmonton YMCA has grown concurrently with the City of Edmonton, and they have mutually supported each others` growth and development; the YMCA through its programs and services, and the City through working with the Y on capital projects. The first YMCA building was replaced in the 1950`s with the current Downtown Y building
 

Provincial Archives of Alberta
B4220n
Arlington Apartment(Built: 1909)
It was a grand event the week Edmonton's first apartment building officially opened at the corner of Victoria Avenue and Sixth Street. "Edmonton's most modern and up-to-date residential apartment," proclaimed the Saturday News on November 6, 1909. That was the beginning, more than 95 years ago. The end came the morning of April 5, 2005, when a catastrophic fire left the five-storey red brick building at 100th Avenue and 106th Street just a barren shell of blackened bricks. It's a huge loss for Edmonton history. The Arlington was an exceptional example of early apartment architecture. The five-storey, 150-foot wide brick structure was distinguished by a bold dentilled cornice at the roof level, with stone keystones and sills at the windows. From the grand arched entranceway, with "499 Arlington" etched into marble (which refers to the building's former address at 499 Victoria Avenue), to hardwood floors, abundant windows and funky fixtures, the building brimmed with turn-of-the-century character. Its 49 suites boasted such features as retractable "Murphy beds (which pulled down from the wall), china cabinets, a bookcase and writing cabinets. Constructed by Winnipeg contractor Robert Grant, the Edwardian-influenced Arlington was erected between July and December 1909 at a cost of $130,000. The Edmonton Bulletin reported that the shell went up very quickly, "a storey a week," with a workforce of 25 bricklayers and 50 carpenters. No architect has been identified, although there were blueprints and it is possible Grant was also the designer.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-551-173
Post Office (Old and New)(Built: 1907-1910)
Constructed from 1907 to 1910 by the Federal government, this building was Edmonton`s main northside Post Office for 56 years. It was a distinctive Edmonton landmark with its copper mansard roof, cupola windows, domed clock tower, and Manitoba Tyndall stone exterior. In 1967, the city purchased the building and in 1972 sold it to Leamar Developments for the construction of the Edmonton Plaza Hotel, presently the Westin Hotel. Leamar demolished the Post Office that year, and the famous clock and tower were dismantled and stored for future reconstruction on the original site. But the clock tower stonework was reused in a memorial gardens monument, so a modern clock tower was specifically designed for the original clock and mechanism. The new clock tower was installed in 1978 on the north end of the Westin Hotel site through the generosity of an anonymous donor.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-551-4
Court House(Built: 1911)
Constructed in 1911, this building housed the Supreme and District Courts until 1972, when it was sold to Woodwards and demolished for the construction of Edmonton Centre. This Greek templelike building had a sandstone exterior and granite foundation. The interior showed a classical elegance with Greek columns, a marble staircase, and skylight. The four court rooms in the upper gallery were oak panelled.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-500-352
Tegler Building(Built: 1911)
The Tegler Building was built in 1911 by Edmonton entrepreneur and philanthropist, Robert Tegler. Designed by H. A. Magoon, the Tegler Building was known to be one of the earliest reinforced concrete buildings in Alberta, and the first fireproof office building in Edmonton. The stone used for its construction was quarried from a rock coulee near Fort MacLeod. An eight-storey addition was constructed in 1913 to accommodate the expansion of James Ramsey`s department store, which remained here until 1929. The Tegler Building is clad in red brick and white stone, with the entablature and other detailing of pressed tin. Primarily Classical in its detailing, it is representative of the transition to the Sullivanesque modern era and achieves a balance in horizontals and verticals. Some of the Classical detailing includes corner quoins, pilasters, and a two-storey balcony with engaged Ionic columns and a balustrade which accents the upper floors.
 

Ken J. Dayeson
KD_A20_3_19
Tower Mortgage(Built: 1912)
One of Jasper Avenue`s oldest buildings was demolished in 1993. City council`s executive committee decided Wednesday to abandon a last-minute attempt to save the 81-year-old Canadian Pacific Railways building, at 10012 Jasper Ave. by giving it a historical designation. It will allow an application to proceed to put up a two-storey retail handbag store on the site. Architect Doug McConnell said the owner could ask council for a grant or tax concessions if stone columns hidden under the 1969 facade need expensive restoration. When Hops handbags took possession of the ground floor retail space and renovations on the 3rd-5th floor exterior exposed the original features cast in grandure black granite with outstanding pilliars that will be lost forever.
 


EA-330-10
Wesley United Church(Built: 1912)
The former Wesley United Church and Sunday School, built in 1912, came tumbling down at 10176 117th St. "I'm personally sad to see it go," says a heritage planner with the City of Edmonton.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-263-27
Cross House(Built: 1912)
This Tudor-style mansion, designed by Scottish architect J. Henderson, was built in 1912 by C. W. Cross, Alberta`s first Attorney-General. The Cross family occupied this residence until Mrs. Cross` death in 1928. Judge T. L. Cross, who grew up in the house, recalled that the furniture and fireplaces were brought from England and the large unused attic was "big enough to hold half a regiment". The house was a residence until the late 1940`s when it was divided into apartments. In 1976, Letourneau Developments purchased the site with the intention of building a housing development. In August of that year a fire gutted the house and it was subsequently demolished. In 1977, Letourneau Developments built ten single family houses on the site.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-10-2333
Royal Alexandra Hospital(Built: 1912)
Built at a cost of $225,000, this building replaced the old Public Hospital on Boyle Street (now 103A Avenue). In 1918, a west wing was added to the left to complete the initial expansion plans.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-118-82
Pantages Theatre(Built: 1913)
Built in 1913 by Alexander Pantages and George Brown, the Pantages Vaudeville Theatre hosted such great entertainers as the Marx Brothers, Buster Keaton, Laurel and Hardy, and others. In 1931, the theatre was renamed The Strand. Premier William Aberhart broadcast his Sunday sermons from its stage in the 1930`s. The theatre was known for its remarkable Italian Renaissance interior. Alexander Pantages used Italian and Greek marble throughout, trimmed with bronze and bevelled glass. The walls were panelled with damask figured silk and the decoration was punctuated with detailed use of gilt and plaster works. Although the building was designated a Provincial Historic Site in 1976, it was dismantled in 1979 by the First Northern Building Corporation, who had purchased the site twenty years earlier. During demolition, plaster figurines were removed and molds of the interior were made with the intention of reconstructing the theatre in Fort Edmonton Park. Batoni-Bowlen Enterprises Ltd. purchased the site for the InterProvincial Pipeline Building which was completed in 1981.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-338-75
Shaw Mansion(Built: 1913)
In 1913, Harry V. Shaw built his new mansion and a year later constructed the Shaw Block for his cigar factory. Designed and built by Magoon and MacDonald, the house was finished with white oak and dark mahogany panelling, with imported furnishings from France and Italy and hand painted linen wallpaper. The plaster ceiling design in the library was reminiscent of many renaissance palaces in Europe. Chandeliers and door knobs were made of cut glass. The depressed wartime economy forced the Shaw family to vacate in 1919. In 1938, Ernest Poole, founder of Poole Construction, bought the house. A large verandah, which covered two sides of the house and accommodated a balcony on the second floor, was removed by Mr. Poole. The house was used as a residence and boarding house until 1966 when Mr. A. Coyne purchased it for a residence.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-551-9
CPR Station(First used: 1913)
The first passenger train to use the new Edmonton station was the Great West Express which departed for Wetaskiwin, Camrose, Saskatoon and Winnipeg on September 2, 1913 - service which was to last until June 1960. Passenger service to the station was withdrawn in October 1972 when South Edmonton became the terminus for the Calgary Dayliner service. The building was demolished in 1978. The two-storey structure was 72 feet square, with a one-storey 72 x 90 foot wing to the north which was later extended by 50 feet. It cost $200,000 and was built of reinforced concrete which was cast in place. After World War Two, it was stuccoed and painted a pink/beige colour. For a number of years there was a circular driveway between the front of the station with an attractive flower bed inside its circumference.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-10-205
Civic Block(Built: 1913)
In 1913 the City of Edmonton constructed the Civic Block at a cost of $225,000. Although it was designed to be a temporary office building that could easily convert to stores and warehouses, it served as City Hall until 1957. In contrast to today`s civic administration, all city departments were housed in this single structure. In 1962, the building was renovated and expanded to accommodate Police Headquarters at a cost of $886,000. The original brick and terra cotta exterior is now covered in aluminum and glass cladding. Originally a dominant feature of market square, it is now diminished by the larger, surrounding buildings and its own alterations.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-356-1
Edmonton Gardens(Built: 1913)
Built in 1913 and originally the home of the Edmonton Eskimos (who lost in the Stanley Cup finals in both 1908 and 1910) it would later be the home rink for Alberta senior champion Edmonton Flyers, Edmonton Oil Kings and the Edmonton Oilers from 1972 - 1974 (when they were part of the WHA). It was demolished in 1974 after the Northlands Coliseum was opened, now the site of the Edmonton Agricom.
 


EA-62-315
Lessard House(Built: 1913)
The 93-year-old Lessard House at 11936 100th Ave., with its red- brick walls and turreted roof, was torn down in 2006. The house was built by P. Edmond Lessard in 1913. Lessard served as a provincial MLA and senator.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-160-1522
Jesuit College / Charles Camsell Hospital(Built: 1913)
Bishop Legal of St. Albert requested that the College be built, it was completed in 1913 on land donated by John Norris and Joseph Scott. During World War II it was given to the American Army to support their efforts in building a highway to Alaska, during that time it was known as the Northwest Service Command Headquarters . When the highway was completed in 1944 the building was returned to the Canadian Government. After renovations were completed in 1945 the Department of Veterans Affairs used it and it was known as the Jesuit College Hospital. In 1946 it was used by the Indian Health Service for use as a tuberculosis hospital, during this phase the building became known as the Charles Camsell Indian Hospital. The building was a regular hospital at the time of its demolition in July of 1967, shortly after everything was moved into the new Charles Camsell Hospital.
 

Ken J. Dayeson
KD_A9_2_10a
Ballmoral Block(Built: 1913)
Property originally owned by: Dr A.A Nichols & M. Reynolds; Architect was: E.C Hopkins; Contractor was: Reed, MacDonald and Brewster; Cost to construct: 1912 estimates: $40,000.00; Constructed of brick and Bedford stone. Main floor was retail and the upper floors were self contained apt suites. Currently this site is a "parking lot". Boston Pizza opened a new franchise in the old Healy Ford dealership building at 10620 Jasper Ave. in 1996.
 

Ken J. Dayeson
KD_B31_3_13
Civic Block, Renovated(Built: 1913)
The Civic Block was built in 1913 to house city council chambers. In 1962, the police took over the building as their headquarters. Aluminum and glass cladding installed on the building in the 1960s cover up its original brick and terra cotta facade. The Civic Block was unused for many years before being demolised to make room for the new Winspear Concert Hall.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-597-63
Allin House(Built: 1914)
This Tudor-Victorian house was built in 1914 by the Pearce Brothers, building contractors. From 1920 to 1922, the Honourable George Smith, Provincial Minister of Education, resided here. Dr. Frank W. Crang purchased the house in 1922, and it became the residence of the Allin family in the 1940`s after Dr. Crang`s daughter married Dr. Eardley Allin, a prominent Edmonton general practitioner. The Allins occupied this house until it was sold to the University in 1968. The house was demolished, as were others in the area, for a University parking lot. In 1971 the Law Building was constructed on the Allin House site.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-62-332
Primrose House(Built: 1914)
This California-style bungalow was completed in 1914, and was first occupied by Judge Alexander Andrews McGillivary, who sat on the Supreme Court for the Provincial Government. His son, Chief Justice William A. McGillivary, resided here with his family until 1920, when Lieutenant-Governor Philip C. Primrose moved in. It was later occupied by the Lieutenant-Governor`s son, Justice Neil Primrose. In 1973 the Primrose family vacated the house. Three years later Bell-Spotowski Architects Ltd. bought the house and used it for offices until 1979, when it was demolished. In 1981 Park Place apartments were built on this site, copying the brick pedestals of the Primrose House at the front entrance of the complex.
 

Ken J. Dayeson
KD_B2_7_1a
Burns Packing Plant(Built: 1915)
Prior to 1915 Burns had two seperate processing-retail outlets in Edmonton. The first was on Jasper Avenue, while the second was south of Whyte Ave. Burns had vacated the plant in 1980 and moved their operations to 5012 - 76 Ave. Currently this site is known as the "BURNS" Lot which accomadates Edmonton transit shuttle patrons who park there.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-10-579
Johnstone Walker`s Store(Photo: 1917)

 

City of Edmonton Archives
ET-17-111
Capitol Theatre(Built: 1917)
In 1917, Famous Players built the Capitol Theatre, the first silent movie house in Edmonton. When the silent film era closed in 1929, sound equipment was installed. The entire theatre was remodelled in 1938, including installation of the theatre`s famous 2,000 light marquee, the largest in Western Canada. Smoke Shops Ltd. and Kline`s Jewellery Store shared the ground floor with the theatre from 1917 until its demolition. In 1972, Famous Players demolished the Capitol along with the Agency and the Monarch Buildings to make way for the 22-storey Capitol Square Theatre and office complex, completed in 1975.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-266-135
Marshal Wells Building(Built: 1919)
The Marshall-Wells Alberta Company commenced business in Edmonton, July, 1912, by purchasing the wholesale hardware business of Ross Bros., Limited, and the Sommerville Hardware Company, this being their first start in the hardware jobbing business in Alberta, from which they have steadily grown to their now immense proportions. The business has advanced remarkably since the time of its incorporation, and in 1919 it was found necessary to build premises to handle the ever-increasing business and the new building in which they are now situated, is the finest hardware structure in the Dominion of Canada. Combined with their branches in Western Canada, they comprise the principal wholesale hardware distribuutors in the Dominion of Canada.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-10-354
Bank of Nova Scotia(Photo: 1920)

 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-246-137
Edmonton Journal Building(Built: 1921)
The Journal Building stand prominently at the top of Bellamy Hill at 101 Street. The Edmonton Journal moved its newspaper business to this location when its four-storey building was completed in 1921.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
A98-103
Edmonton Public Library(Opened: 1923)
Jointly funded by the Andrew Carnegie Corporation of New York and the City of Edmonton, this grand French Renaissance structure with Italian detailing was for more than 40 years the main branch of the Edmonton Public Library. It overlooked the North Saskatchewan River valley from a perch just north of Macdonald Drive and west of 99th Street.

The Board commissioned local architects Herbert Alton Magoon and George Heath MacDonald to prepare plans for a reinforced concrete and steel fireproof building "costing not more than $150,000." Constructed of cream coloured terr-cotta clay brick and Bedford stone, the central entrances were flanked by four fluted Doric columns, topped with copper trim and red tile roofing. Interior finishes included Caen stone, terrazzo tile and marble.

The central portion of the main floor was crowned by a massive skylight measuring 65 feet by 24 feet, carried on Ionic columns. Large windows on all sides made for superb natural light penetration. The building even boasted a central vacuum system.

Poole Construction got the contract to erect the structure -- the first project for a new Edmonton company started by Ernest Poole, and which today has evolved to become the massive firm PCL. Work commenced in late 1922 and was completed the following summer.

The new building was officially opened on August 30th, 1923, amid much pomp and circumstance. Premier Herbert Greenfield and former Premier Alexander Rutherford both spoke at the ceremony.

A little more than 40 years later, Edmonton's grand house of books was deemed too small and construction began on a new library which opened September 30, 1967 and was called the Centennial. Poole Construction, the company that built the 1923 library, was selected to demolish it and that happened in 1969. Poole Construction then built the AGT Tower (now the Telus Tower) on the same site, beginning in 1970.

   (Text credit: Lawrence Herzog – Edmonton Real Estate Weekly – Sept 27, 2007)
 

Ken J. Dayeson
KD_A44_3_11
Bissell United Church(Built: 1923)
This building had various uses: 1923 -1932 McQueen Institute - Sunday School; 1933- 1936 All Peoples Church; 1937 - 1965 The T.E Memorial Institute and the Bissell Memorial United Church; 1965 - 1991 Bissell Church and drop in center, by 1992 the building was vacant. Currently this site is used for parking for the #1 Fire station.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-122-38
Woodward`s Department Store(Opened: 1926)
The old Woodward`s department store stands proudly fitted with flags and bunting, ready to celebrate the royal visit. While Sam Cherniak sells popcorn to passersby on the 102 Avenue corner, the new Eaton`s department store is in the midst of construction on the other side of 101 Street. The building shown here includes the original Woodward`s store, which opened on this site on October 15, 1926, and the three additional bays built onto the north, nearest the Royal George Hotel, in 1929 and 1932. By September, 1940, fourth and fifth storeys were added as well. In June, 1974, the building was demolished to be replaced by the new Edmonton Centre complex.
 


EA-314-01
Edmonton City Dairy(Built: 1928)
From 1928 until 1977 the eight-ton, 10-metre-tall bottle sat on the roof of Edmonton City Dairy on 109 Street, north of Jasper Avenue. The milk bottle was so big and so white that bush pilots would actually use it to steer by as their planes approached the Municipal Airport.
 

Real Estate Weekly
HowardMcBride
Howard and McBride's Funeral Parlour(Opened: 1929)
When Howard & McBride opened their new funeral parlour in July 1929, the Edmonton Bulletin newspaper proclaimed it to be, "the last word in arrangements for comfort." The new building at 10045 109th Street was designed specifically as a funeral chapel for Thomas Wilfred "Mac" McBride and R.F. Howard, funeral service partners since 1921.

Like many of Edmonton's earliest movers and shakers, McBride came in the first years of the new century, drawn by the promise of opportunity. McBride arrived initially in 1907, stayed for some 18 months and then returned in 1912 to work for Connelly-McKinley Funeral Home.

In 1914, McBride began working for Howard, who operated a furniture and hardware store on Jasper Avenue between 106th and 107th Streets and a funeral removal service. McBride, who came to be known as "Mac," assumed responsibility for funeral arrangements and services and Howard attended to his stores.

Fleeing what at the time was called "Edmonton's high rent district," the two entrepreneurs decided to shift from their 107th Street funeral home location. In 1927, they purchased a vacant lot on the east side of 109th Street, just south of Jasper Avenue.

They hired renowned Edmonton architects George Heath MacDonald and Herbert Magoon to design what was to become one of the finest funeral facilities in western Canada. Their company, Magoon and MacDonald, were Edmonton's dynamic duo of architecture for many years earlier this century. Together and working separately, the two architects gave Edmonton such buildings as the Tegler Building (1911; demolished 1982), the Methodist Theological St. Stephen's Building (1911) and the Public Library (1922; demolished 1968).

Culling inspiration from the Spanish school of architecture, Magoon and MacDonald used stone for the facing, clay tiles for the roof and appointed the interior with sumptuous finishes. The Edmonton Bulletin, in its June 22nd, 1929 edition, reported that Magoon and MacDonald drew the plans "after a close study of other institutions of the kind in Eastern Canada and the United States."

The building featured an air conditioned 135-room chapel (with room for expansion to 175) and four slumber rooms ("where relatives may view their departed ones"). The chapel boasted Edmonton's first Casavant pipe organ.

According to the Edmonton Bulletin, the firm was the first in the west to introduce the limousine type of ambulance and funeral coach and leave behind the old style black hearse. Out back, the new structure boasted a garage to house their new limousines.

The new home of Howard & McBride offered high visibility and excellent proximity to transportation services, and their arrival solidified the area's growing reputation as the city's "dead centre of town." Howard & McBride joined the Connelly-McKinley Funeral Home & Crematorium, which had opened in 1926 just a half block south on 109th Street.

In 1932, Alexander Andrews and his two sons William and Robert opened their Anrews Brothers funeral home at 11206 Jasper Avenue. George McLaughlin and his Don, hardware store operators in Wetaskiwin and Tofield and undertakers in Tofield, assumed ownership in July 1940. The firm name was changed to Andrews-McLaughlin Funeral Chapel Ltd.

But back to Howard & McBride. "The new structure will be the finest in the west and is arranged to give the best economic service to those who come to us in time of need," Mac McBride was quoted as telling an Edmonton Bulletin reporter.

Over the next 59 years, the Howard & McBride Funeral Home was a place of goodbyes for thousands of Edmontonians. In 1947, McBride's son Paul joined the company. He retired as president in 1988.

That same year, the company was purchased by Arbour Memorial Services of Toronto. The new owners amalgamated Howard & McBride with Roy and Owen's Chapel of Chimes on 108th Street and 102nd Avenue and so the old building on 109th Street was abandoned.

Even into his twilight years, Mac McBride was still active and, in 1978, when he was 90, he would occasionally drive in a funeral procession. Mr. McBride passed away in 1980 at the age of 92.

His old funeral home found new life as a restaurant - as have so many other historic funeral homes across the continent. The generous ceilings and solid materials make such buildings good candidates for conversion.

Over the last several years, the venerable structure has been a Club Malibu and Club 109 and endures as one of Edmonton's most intriguing buildings. History tells us that it does indeed have a story to die for.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-275-66
Foster & McGarvey Funeral Home(Built: 1929)

 

Ken J. Dayeson
KD_A25_4_13
Metropolitan Building(Built: 1929)
Was built to accomodate low priced everyday items and was dubbed "The Met" it featured a lunch counter. The building was extended in 1938 after a fire gutted the interior. This building was re-designed and upgraded in 1962 to reflect the modern trends of the time. The "Met" vacated the property in the early 1980`s and the building remained unchanged until it was converted into offices and then bought in 1996-97 to be re-developed.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-624-10
Eaton`s Mail Order Warehouse(Built: 1929)
The T. Eaton Co. Limited Mail Order Building was the first building constructed specifically for the T. Eaton Company in Edmonton, and pre-dates the 101 Street department store by ten years. The building was completed in November, 1929 and was designed by Magoon and MacDonald of Edmonton. Eaton`s acquired the land in what contemporary sources termed as "the largest land deal in Edmonton`s history". This building originally stocked only heavy goods and machinery. The Mail Order Building is a rectangular, two-storey structure of steel and reinforced concrete sheathed in buff-coloured brick and ivory buff Tyndall limestone. The flat roof is bordered by a parapet and stone cornice decorated with dentils. All ground floor window openings are flat-headed, while the upper storey exhibits a rhythmic fenestration of triple round-arched windows.
 


EA-275-1586
Varscona Theatre(Built: 1940)
The Varscona Theatre, at Whyte Avenue and 109th Street, described as an example of the developed Moderne style, was demolished in 1987 to make way for a credit union branch.
 

Edmonton Journal
LieutenantGovernoResidence
Lieutenant-Governor's Residence(Built: 1950)
This ranch style bungalow was built as a private residence in 1950. Known for its fieldstone fireplaces it was designed by architect John Rule. John Rule's other designs include the Glenora School, University's Rutherford Library and Faculty Club, AGT Tower, Royal Glenora, and Mayfair Golf & Country Club. The house was purchased by the province in 1966 for $95,000. Grant MacEwan was the first lieutenant-governor to live in the residence, Bud Olson was the last (he moved out in 2000).
 

Ken J. Dayeson
KD_B21_1_16a
U of A Hospital(Built: 1951)
This was the U of A`s last original 1950`s wing to be demolished. Built by W.C. Wells Construction of Edmonton at a cost of two and a half million. Built to accomadate Central Foor Servery providing 3000 meals daily to the entire hospital except the Col.Mewburn wing. In addition, this wing accomadated the growing needs of the pediatrics maternity, ophthalmology department, as well as the obstetrics, mental reception unit with 20 beds, labs for clinical research and the central surgical supply unit, two lecture for clinical instrucion theatres and the in patient admitting department was located here.
 

Ken J. Dayeson
KD_A20_2_21a
Royal Trust(Built: 1953)
Built to accomodate growing needs of Royal Trust Company. The building featured structual steel, concrete floors, granite facing, pre-cast terrazo panels, bording the windows with aluminum frame casting. To date there is an arcade type wall connecting Alberta College, Telus Plaza Towers and the Union Bank Inn.
 

Ken J. Dayeson
KD_B8_2_22
Sun Building(Built: 1954)
Was built to accomadate various independant retail businesses with a cafeteria in the basement. First tenants included McNeill Moving Storage and Martin Senour Co. In 1962 Alberta municipal affairs occupied the majority of this building to accomadate the Alberta Housing and Urban Renewal office and hundreds of other provincial agencies. By 1986 Alberta Fish and Wildlife, Alberta Manpower Career Services, Training and Apprentice, Resource Library, occupied the building. In 1988 it was vacated and torn down to make way for an expanded public parking on this lot.
 

City of Edmonton Archives
EA-20-990
City Hall(Built: 1956)
Designed by architect Maxwell Dewar, Edmonton`s City Hall has 130,000 square feet of floor space. The City of Edmonton had already abandoned the old Civic Block constructed adjacent to market square in 1912 in favour of a new city hall built in 1956. The new city hall, located a block north and west of the old Civic Block, was the first building in a new civic centre plan. The new building featured a fountain designed by Lionel Thomas that was meant to suggest a flight of Canada geese but has been referred to as "the spaghetti tree."
 

Ken J. Dayeson
KD_A45_7_9
Bentall Building(Built: 1960)
Designed by: Neil. C. McKernan; Owner-developer: H.Clarke Bentall - past president of Dominion Construction. Mr Bentall was also responsible for the construction of the Woolworth`s building and several other retail stores that were constructed along 102 Street south of 102 Avenue. This building consisted of 175,000 square feet of office space that was largely the head office for the Bentall group of companies. It cost $750,000.00 to build.
 

Ken J. Dayeson
KD_A64_4_24a
CP Express(Built: 1961)
Was built due to increased demand for centralized recieving shipping and container storage. Built to the north of the original CP Train station that was built in 1913. The building sat on 12 hecters of land extending from Jasper Avenue - 103 Avenue - 109 Street - 111 Street. On 1992-93 plans for retail development called "Railtown" was derailed due to a lack of financial injection to see it started by mid 1993, however by 1999 a new developer came in to design a shopping complex, Centerra Plaza, to include Save-on-foods and 14 other tenants.
 


EA-10-412
Central Pentecostal Tabernacle(Built: 1964)
The angled pyramid and the square, yellowed-glass buildings on 116th Street at 106 Avenue was a vital part of the visual culture of our city. The first building of two structures called the Central Pentecostal Tabernacle was built in 1964 by Charles Laubenthal and Peter Hemingway. The "Square" building was the only example in Edmonton of the international style and paid homage to the great French master of architecture, Le Corbusier.
 


EdmontonArtGallery
Edmonton Art Gallery(Built: 1968)
The Edmonton Art Gallery was a brutalist structure that was designed by Don Bittorf in 1968. Renovated/demolished in 2007.
 

Ken J. Dayeson
KD_A1313_6_16
Montgomery Legion Hall(Built: 1968)
The Montgomery Legion 1968 site was chosen to replace the original location built in 1920 which was scheduled for demolition to construct the AGT-Telus south tower. This legion branch is Edmonton`s oldest and was named after General Montgomery of World War 2. The 103 Ave location was closed in March 1993 due to declining memberships, rising utility costs and parking limitations. However, a 70 ton 18`x 40` military memorial wall that was incorporated into the 103 Ave location was re-located to the "Field of Honor" section of the Northern Lights Cemetary 156 Street and St Albert Trail. The Montgomery Legion re-located it`s chapter to 11714 -95 Street in 1993 with only 929 members compared to it`s 1969 membership of 7,000.
 

Ken J. Dayeson
KD_A140_4_11a
RCMP K Division(Built: 1970)
Prior to 1971 the K-division was located at 101 Ave & 95A St. Currently Edmonton`s K-division has vastly expanded and no remaining sections of the 1970 version remain.
 

Ken J. Dayeson
KD_A141_6_7a
Twin Drive In(Built: 1970)
This particular drive-in was western Canada`s first dual screen venue with a 1200 car capacity. The owners: National Canadian Cinemas Ltd also owned the Twin Plaza cinemas located at 118 Ave and 102 Street.(now the - Gate 81 Bingo Hall). The Twin closed in 1998, ending the local drive-in business, but its huge screens remained up for years as a silent reminder of the days when Edmonton was the unofficial drive-in movie capital of Canada.