Jobs and Education
Looking for a job? Not sure what to include on a resume? Thinking of going back to school? EPL has a wealth of resources to help you make decisions about education and jobs.
To start, read through our pamphlet on Finding Reliable Career Information Online (PDF) – A quick reference guide with key job search sites and how to protect yourself from online job scams.
- Looking for free computer courses? - Check out Learning Express Test Library! This database offers free online Microsoft courses.
- Want to know what schools offer your program? - Go to Career Cruising- it has great information on schools and what kind of programs they offer, as well as information on earnings, career paths and job postings.
- Find out how to get money for training or school - Go to ALIS, the Alberta Learning Information Services website- you will find the link in our Jobs and Education resource list.
Can't find what you're looking for? Contact EPL!
Books, DVDs, and more…all hand-selected by subject experts to make your life easy.
These databases will help you find out about your career.....
For Career, Education, and Training information:
- Career Cruising - The ultimate online career guidance resource. Career Cruising has preference and aptitude tests to help you find a career match. Features easy-to-read occupational profiles, career paths, and interviews with real workers in many industries—great Alberta content.
- Learning Express Test Center Canada - Practice tests and tutorial courses to help you succeed with academic or licensing exams. Includes Computer Skills training for a variety of Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, etc)
For Education Articles:
- Education Research Complete - Includes all levels of education from early childhood to higher education, and all educational specialties, such as multilingual education, health education, and testing. Indexing and abstracts for over 1,500 journals and full text for over 750 journals.
- ERIC (Educational Resource Information Center) - contains more than 2,200 digests along with references for additional information and citations and abstracts from over 980 educational and education-related journals.
Alberta Learning Information Service
Alberta Learning Information Service (ALIS) is the provincial gateway to help Albertans plan and achieve educational and career success! It provides information for career planning, post-secondary education and training, educational funding, job search, labour market trends, and workplace issues. OccInfo, the Alberta Occupational Profiles can be found here!
Alberta Works helps people find and keep jobs, helps employers meet their need for skilled workers, and helps Albertans with low incomes cover their basic costs of living.
Government of Alberta - Career & Employment
Start here to find information on career planning, training programs and job fairs. You can also learn about Employment Insurance and other services offered by the Government of Alberta.
ThirdQuarter.ca is an online meeting place aimed at connecting businesses with Canadians aged 50-plus – individuals in the third quarter of the lives – that have a wealth of workplace and life experiences and skills.
Job Bank Websites: