As a newcomer to Canada we know you have lots of questions. The library can help with some of the most common information requests that many newcomers have. We have materials, programs and services to help with:
|• Shelter and housing||• Legal rights|
|• Employment||• English language programs|
|• Education (schools, colleges and universities)||• Social networking opportunities|
|• Seniors programs||• Government funds|
|• Healthcare and health insurance||• Citizenship and immigration / sponsorship|
Take a look at how EPL's resources can help you:
- Borrow books, movies, music and even video games - experience everything from fiction, non-fiction, kids' books, self-help, technology and more... all for FREE. Search our catalogue to find what you're looking for.
Newspapers and Magazines
- Use PressReader to stay connected with your home country. Press Display gives you online access to over 800 newspapers from 80 countries in 38 languages.
- Chinese magazines - Read the full text of hundreds of Chinese language magazines.
- You can search for newspaper articles in several of our databases (e.g., Globe and Mail historical, Canadian News, Business & Current Affaris, Canadian Periodical Index.)
World Languages and Language Resources
- World language materials in over 40 languages - books, movies and music.
- Family Language Kits are available in a variety of languages. It's a fun way for the family to practice English together.
Did you know? Your library card gives you access to over 2 million items including books, CDs, DVDs, video games and so much more!
- Unlimited Wi-Fi access at all 18 branches
- Free computer access for Internet, word processing and printing to assist in job searching and resumes
EPL's Website - www.epl.ca
- Get exclusive digital content including eBooks, eAudiobooks, eNewspapers, eMusic, eVideos and databases
- Search the online catalogue for your favourite books, CDs, DVDs, video games and more
- Manage your library account using My EPL online
- See what you have out and when it's due
- Place and check holds
- Review and pay fines
- Renew materials, including your membership
See step-by-step instructions on how to use My EPL online
- Access to over 100 databases to help you find information on almost anything, from careers and employment to health and personal finance. Here are a few of our most popular databases for newcomers:
- Learning Express Test Library: Tests, test preparation tools, courses and career preparation for students and adults
- Mango Online Language Learning: One of the most advanced online language learning programs available which includes more than 30 languages for English speakers and English language courses for speakers of 15 other languages
- Career Cruising: Online career guidance and planning system with tools to find the right career and to explore education and training options
- Press Display: Over 800 newspapers from around the world - same day coverage from 80 countries in 38 languages
- Oxford English Dictionary: Up-to-date English language dictionary
- Oxford Language Dictionaries: Fully searchable, completely comprehensive bilingual dictionaries; includes tools for writing and applying for jobs and sample resumes
- Health & Wellness Resource Center: Dictionaries, encyclopedias and articles on medical, statistical, health and related information
See all of our licensed databases.
- EPL's Citizenship and Immigration Guide
Includes links to various citizenship and immigration websites, citizenship tests and more.
- EPL's Health Guide
A variety of health resources including databases and websites with health information in several languages.
- EPL's Jobs and Education Guide
Valuable information and resources to assist with job searches and education choices. Includes information for foreign workers and test preparation tools.
- Useful Information for Newcomers to Edmonton
A list of agencies and organizations in the Edmonton area that can help newcomers.
Did you know? Databases contain magazines, research publications, music, movies, books and more!
- Staff are always available to answer questions and to assist you with EPL resources.
- Ask reference questions, questions about our catalogue and databases, and other questions related to library services, programs and policies right from our online chat box or in person at any branch. Have a question? Ask us!
- Staff can provide referrals to community agencies when necessary.
- Make it easier for people to access library services
- Work with you to provide responsive and relevant services
- Extend the library services beyond library walls
- EPL is pleased to offer Settlement Services at the library to help newcomers find answers and referrals to common questions about moving to Canada and settling into their new home, including:
|• housing search||• transportation system|
|• employment/job search||• education system/training|
|• language classes||• immigration issues|
|• interpretation/translation||• legal services|
|• health insurance||• subsidized childcare|
|• social insurance card||• social assistance|
This program is funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada and is provided in partnership with the Edmonton Immigrant Services Association (EISA).
Services are free for eligible clients and currently available at six locations: Stanley A. Milner Library (downtown), Castle Downs, Londonderry, Mill Woods and Whitemud Crossing and Lois Hole. To find out more about Settlement Services at EPL, visit any of these locations or contact our settlement practitioners:
- Grazyna Pakos at email@example.com
- Yalda Asef at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Margarita Cameron at email@example.com
- Jianmin Chang at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ruth Gitaka at email@example.com
- Dama Diriye at firstname.lastname@example.org
Did you know? We have 17 locations across Edmonton to serve you. Find one that's close to you.