English Language Learning (ELL) at EPL
Are you learning English? The Edmonton Public Library has collections and programs to help you learn to read, speak and write English.
Our collections include:
- TOEFL, IELTS and TOEIC guidebooks
- Books, CDs and DVDs about English grammar, pronunciation, spelling and vocabulary
- Family Language Learning Kits (kits include bilingual stories and puppets)
- Bilingual picture dictionaries
- Read-along books and CD sets
- Easy reading books for adults and children
The Edmonton Public Library offers free programs to help you learn and practise English.
- Practise English @ Your Library: Practise your English language skills, meet new friends and have some fun in a casual and comfortable setting.
- English Language Conversation Circles (LACE)
- Story and activity programs for children: These include programs of interest to everyone.
- ELL Library Tours: Ask for a tour of your local library to find out about the many things the library can offer you.
See the most current list of ELL programs at all EPL branches.
Free Online Learning Databases
- Learning Express Test Library – Includes the TOEFL test
- Mango Language Learning – Online language learning software
- Educational Resource Information Centre (ERIC)
- Oxford English Dictionary
- Education Research Complete
- Career Cruising
- Muzzy Language Learning - great for kids and new learners
ELL Test Resources
- Canadian Adult Achievement Test (CAAT)
The CAAT helps determine an individual’s present educational level and readiness for literacy instruction, general academic upgrading, core skills development and vocational selection.
- Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) Online Self Assessment Test
This is a self-assessment for people who are learning to speak English as a Second Language (ESL). The test is based on the Canadian Language Benchmarks.
The CanTEST is a standardized English proficiency test used to determine if you are able to meet admission requirements of Canadian post-secondary institutions or fluency requirements of professional licensing associations.
- International English Language Training System (IELTS)
This site contains free IELTS practice tests. The IELTS is the standardized test that Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) recognizes as proof of English language ability for immigration purposes.
- Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC) - Canadian Website
This site contains TOEIC sample questions which will help you understand the different sections of the TOEIC test and what kind of questions to expect.