Four out of ten adult Canadians struggle with low literacy.
The Edmonton Public Library has collections and programs for adult learners.
Our collections include:
- Books, CDs, and DVDs about English grammar, pronunciation, spelling, and vocabulary
- Picture dictionaries
- Read-along books and CD sets
- Easy-reading books for adults, such as the Easy English Collection
- Workplace literacy materials
- GED resources
EPL offers a number of free programs including:
- Resume, Job and Interview workshops
- Computer Basics (in a group or one-on-one)
- Movies and Film Series
- Talks and discussions
Visit our Programs page to search the most current list of programs at all EPL branches.
Literacy in Edmonton
Looking for tutors or classes in Edmonton? Here are some organizations that support adult learners.
- Ben Calf Robe Adult Education Program
Emphasis is placed on Aboriginal culture including Aboriginal literature. This program offers pre-high and high school courses.
- Centre for Family Literacy
A community based volunteer organization providing literacy development of individuals and families.
- Edmonton John Howard Society
Offers an upgrading program for adults particularly offenders.
- ECALA - Edmonton Community Adult Learning Association
An Edmonton site for lifelong learning.
- The Learning Centre Literacy Association
Offers an open access literacy program for adults.
- NorQuest College
This college has programs for adults from basic literacy to grade 12.
- PALS - Project Adult Literacy Society
Provides one-on-one tutoring for adult learners. It is affiliated with Laubach Literacy of Canada.