Library Distribution of Community Information
Sharing community news.
We are community activators and love to share. As of March 1, 2012 we have revised our distribution of community information service to both take advantage of extensive electronic resources available as well as reduce our paper consumption.
Space is limited at our locations. The priority of our display space is for Library materials. Other materials are accommodated based on alignment to EPL services, community interest and available space.
With this in mind, EPL distributes materials for a subset of organizations that provide essential city and community services tightly aligned to EPL’s core services. These include:
- Government groups - City of Edmonton, Province of Alberta, Government of Canada. Partisan and non-partisan political materials are not accepted.
- Social services - i.e. Mennonite Centre for Newcomers and Catholic Social Services
- Government-funded educational institutions for accredited continuing education programs - i.e. Metro Class Calendar, University of Alberta Continuing Education
- EPL service partners - i.e. Edmonton Public and Catholic School Boards, Centre for Family Literacy, local community partners
- Edmonton festivals - City wide festivals including the Fringe, The Works, Street Performers. Information for community festivals can be included when EPL is directly participating.
A complete list of the organizations that EPL distributes information for is available here. EPL does not distribute materials for fundraising events or for-profit organizations.
Other available resources:
There are many electronic community calendars available that are a useful resource for promoting community activities and events. The City of Edmonton offers a great community calendar that EPL currently uses. We highly recommend it for promoting your events.
You can access the service here.
Sending in your materials:
Submissions must be accompanied by a completed Distribution of Community Information Form. The form can be downloaded or obtained at any library branch. Submissions without a form will not be distributed, nor will the library contact the submitted for the information.
Materials that meet the above criteria and are accompanied by a completed submission can be dropped off at any EPL location or sent to:
Design and Production Services
4th Floor, Stanley A. Milner Library
7 Sir Winston Churchill Square
Edmonton, Alberta, T5J 2V4
Please note: EPL reviews requests and arranges for central distribution. As thousands of requests are received annually, the Library is unable to track whether or not materials have been displayed or picked up by the public. Materials submitted for approval will not be returned.